Chapter 1

The book cover is a picture of Darkness Evergreen.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I want you to do something for me, Arthur." An elderly woman said as she held onto a hand. She laid on a hospital bed with tubes around her.

"What's that Grandma Rose?" The man, Arthur, asked. He looked like he had been crying.

"I want you to go to my guild and I want you to join it." Grandma Rose said as she was short of breath.

"You mean the River Valley guild?" Arthur asked in surprise.

"Yes, I would love for you to meet Darkness... She needs someone like you... Kind, sweet and... Understanding." She said in a low whisper, she started breathing very slowly and then, she died.

Two weeks later

Arthur sat around the table with his mother, Penny, and father, Albert.

"What did the will say?" Arthur asked, breaking the awkward silence between him and his parents.

"Well, it said that all of her money must be transferred over to you and that she wants you to join her guild." Albert explained, he looked pissed off.

"Why can't I join the guild, it might be good for me?" Arthur was confused, why wouldn't his parents let him go.

"Because we think it's dangerous if you go." Penny said before having a sip of her wine.

"Yea, but what if going to the guild helps me learn to protect myself?" Arthur would find any excuse to get into the guild.

"Listen Arthur, you are not going and that's final!" His, controlling, father snapped. Arthur gave Albert a glare and, because of it, the table started to move.

"Arthur, stop this." His mother pleaded but he didn't listen, he was listening to the wind. The light started to flicker and items in the room started to float.

"Arthur William Hunters! Stop this at once!" Albert shouted and Arthur snapped out of it. The items dropped on the floor and the table was still in place.

"I apologize," Arthur said "I didn't mean to do that." He shoved a fork full of salad in his mouth.

"You need to know that you can't just use your powers for reckless things!" His father hissed.

"Then let me join the guild, while doing so, I can put my powers to good use and not just sit here while other people are risking their lives to keep the city safe!" Arthur raised his voice at his parents without hesitation. His mother's baby blue eyes widened as her son spoke in a harsh tone.

"Maybe... Arthur's right." Penny said and both of the men shot their heads up.

"Penny! Our son, the only heir to the Hunters Estate, going to a place filled with reckless idiots!" Albert snapped again.

"So we are idiots now?" A female voice said and everyone turned to see a girl with black hair with the tips of it dyed a dark gray colour. The girl was about seventeen years old.

"Yes, your guild only causes pain for others and that is something I don't want my son to do." Albert grabbed his wine glass and drank the sweet liquid.

"Darkness, what brings you here?" Penny asked, as she stood up.

"Master Ryuk has asked me to collect a few things." Darkness said, her back learned against the wall and her arms folded across her chest. "And if you don't remember, Albert, the River Valley guild protected you and your family for years... So I think you need to show some respect." Darkness smiled at him.