Chapter Fifty- Four

Augusts, Edgar and Dominic returned to the manor, with large trunks, catching all of us off guard.

"What is all of this?" I asked.

They began opening up the two trunks, showing many articles of clothing.

"Yes, what is all this for?" Montgomery spoke up.

Edgar looked at us "We went to gather trousers and blouses for the women to wear, so that physical combat is easier"

"We gathered many different sizes" Dominic said.

Many of the women crowded around, taking out different pieces.

Kherington chuckled "I could have told you that fighting in trousers were much easier"

I shook my head at her comment "I actually never considered this, so thank you for coming up with a brilliant idea"

The three men nodded at me, as a thank you, helping get different items for the women.

I looked outside, seeing Florence and Heath speaking for the first time.

It made me smile to see him hugging her rightly, with her hugging him back.

"Are you prepared for tonight?" Montgomery asked, approaching me.

I shook my head "I do not believe I ever will be"

He put his hand on my shoulder "I assure you that we have the upper hand this time and they have no way of seeing this coming"

"We have so little time before the sun sets" I commented, looking outside, before looking back at those preparing for this night "If anything happens, I will have to live with it, because I know they will not try to kill me"

Montgomery cleared his throat "Louis informed me of your plan if you are captured"

"I do not want to live in a world where Jakub has control over me" I whispered.

He nodded, understand, while I looked back outside.

Treating this sunset as if it were the last one I would ever see.

"Promise me something" I spoke.

"Anything"

"If anything happens that makes you believe we are going to lose horribly, please call them back. Leave me behind if you have to, but if you can save more lives than you will if you stay, do so" I ordered.

Montgomery seemed surprised by my request "I will, but that does not mean we will not come back for you"

Augustus walked over to me "Here are you clothing, Cordelia"

I nodded, taking the bundle and going back upstairs to change.

This was it and there was no going back now.

As I arrived in my room, I saw the sun slowly going down.

I had seen many sunsets before, but this one meant more, because with the idea of potentially being forced into darkness for the remainder of my life, nothing looked so beautiful before.

After removing my dress and changing into the clothing, finding the trousers odd to wear, I stared at my reflection, seeing what was left of me.

I might as well be dressed as a soldier.

I approached my balcony, wanting to see the end of this sunset and as I stood there, Theodore was next to me, staring at it as well.

"I believe in you, Cordelia" he whispered, getting my attention and ending the silence.

I turned to face him "If we succeed, I cannot attempt to bring you back to life"

He hugged me tightly "I know and I have accepted that" he pulled away, staring at me "I have had the ability to move on into the afterlife for some time now, but I have not done so, because I was waiting for you to finally find happiness"

I was unsure of how to respond to him, shocked at the words he was producing.

"You have found that happiness with Louis and if things end badly tonight, I will see you again"

My eyes watered, while I scoffed "It sounds as if you are saying goodbye"

"I am"

I stepped back "W-Why?"

"My sweet Cordelia" he spoke, taking my hands "You do not need me anymore and you know it, because we have not spoken as much"

"I-I have just been occupied" I said, feeling the tears fall "I still need you"

He squeezed my hand "Cordelia, you know that is a lie"

"Do you really have g-go?" I asked.

He nodded "I will always be with you and when your power increases, you can see me again if you want to, but for now, I can no longer keep staying here. Something pulling me into the light"

I quickly hugged him, clinging to him, shaking as he hugged me back "I am scared to let go" my voice cracked "What will I do without you?"

"You will do what you have always done, survive" he kissed the top of my head, before wiping away my tears, even though that made me cry more.

He has been here with me through all of this and with him leaving, it was as if part of myself was leaving as well.

"Though I am not the great love of your life, you will always be mine" he whispered against me, making me cry harder "You will do such great things"

I clung to him, needing to hold on as long as I could, but was soon left gasping as he disappeared.

It was as though an weight had been lifted from me, as I could no longer feel him with me.

All I could do was lean against the balcony, trying to compose myself.

I stared at the sky, seeing the sun finally set and I already missed him dearly.

There was a knock on the door and I quickly wiped my eyes, seeing Louis standing at the door.

"It is time" he spoke.

I stepped forward, wiping away every somber emotion that I was feeling, needing to direct it towards something more important.

"Are you alright?" he asked.

I nodded "I-I will be"