Chapter Three

The sound of Louis snoring filled my room, as he slept. I had my head rested on his chest and I found a calmness to the sound of his heart beating.

All I could do was stare up at him, wondering how someone like him had stumbled into my life.

He slept so peacefully and it was relaxing to feel his chest move up and down as he breathed slowly. With everything going on, I would have been more than happy to stay in this room with him forever.

Forever could be a day with how things were turning out and I only wanted to keep him safe.

Despite his life as a shapeshifter, he was still human. The P'yushchego Vampirov could kill him so easily, without any effort and that terrified me to the core. Which is probably why I could not keep my eyes off of him.

Watching him sleep was just a reminder that he was still alive and still beside me. I wanted to memorize every detail of his face so that if I were to lose him so suddenly, I could keep him in my mind forever.

I carefully sat up, not wanting to wake him and put on my robe, before walking over to the balcony where I could see Paul taking his turn at patrolling.

The minute that I leave this room, it will be as if nothing happened and happiness will be a foreign concept yet again.

Louis let out a grumble as he stirred in bed, making me watch him as he started waking up.

"I did not wake you, did I?" I asked.

He looked at me and gave a small smile before shaking his head "Absolutely not, I am not a heavy sleeper"

I turned back to the scenic view, smiling as he wrapped his arms around me.

"Have you gotten any sleep?" he asked.

"No, I am still processing everything that happened between us" I answered.

He pressed his head to mine "You do not regret it, do you?"

"Never" I whispered, leaning back into his body "I wish we could spend our lives in this room, because I am certainly not ready to face everything outside my bedroom door"

"We must at some point. You are a second leader to those in this household and we rely on you, just as much as we rely on Montgomery" he said, turning me to face him and tilting my chin up.

"Everything seems almost ideal though, with little to no real problems regarding the P'yushchego Vampirov. It is almost suspicious"

"I am well aware that it is your job to worry about the state of this coalition, but you mustn't take the weight of the world onto your shoulder" he said, before planting his lips to mine.

I smiled against his lips "How am I to focus on this coalition when all I can think about is what we just did in my bed?"

"I suppose that itself is a real problem, but I know where you mind lies and you would not become distracted by such things" he said, kissing down my neck.

I pulled away from him and walked back over to the bed "I do not mean to spoil the mood, but I cannot help but be worried that nothing should have happened between us"

He quickly sat down beside me "Why do you think that?"

"You are a shapeshifter and your most important job is to protect us all, but by falling for you, I have now made you an easy target for them" I said, trying to no longer look at him.

He tried taking my hands, but I quickly pulled them away "Please do not push me away, not now"

"If I push you away it is for your own protection" I looked at him with tear-filled eyes "If they discover my love for you then they may kill you just to hurt me!"