20. Someone to Watch Over Me

My heart drops in my chest when I hear Emily tell us the news.

She was at Spencer's house last night and the police showed up with a search warrant. Apparently they tore her room apart looking for any connection to her and Alison. More specifically to that night and Ali's murder.

Worry settles in. For Spencer. I should have been firmer with her when she wanted to go to the police station to give in that darn trophy. I knew in my gut that it was a trap but I didn't push more.

But as soon as Spencer saw the name Ian Thomas engraved on the plaque she put the blinkers on. No one could have talked her out of it.

I'm not convinced of Ian's innocence like I was with Toby. I knew in my bones that the sweet boy was innocent from day one but something isn't sitting right with Ian. Maybe because he recognised me when we were doing the play or maybe it's because he is just creepy in general. Not to mention the NAT club, that we still haven't found any answers about.

Slowly, I walk down our stairs, listening to Emily's voice on loudspeaker, alongside Aria. Partly because we are both huddled around Aria's cell phone eager to squeeze every detail out of Emily and because I want to avoid cascading down the stairs, again.

"You mean they just came in and started going through her things?" Aria questions, disbelief in her tone.

As I walk into the kitchen with my sister I notice something off. Two white ceramic coffee mugs reside on the kitchen table. I inspect the two mugs closer and see the telltale brown stain inside them. These two mugs have been used. And unless Dad has had two coffee's this morning, which I highly doubt as he tries to limit his caffeine consumption, he is still sneaking around with Mom. Also the front door slamming moments ago is kinda a hint that someone else was here.

Dad is leaning against the counter, watching who ever left the house walking along the driveway to our front door. There is a dazed upon his face. Until he hears us. He then snaps into action, plastering a grin on his face as he walks across the kitchen.

"Let us call you back, Em," I say, pressing the end call icon on Aria's phone.

"Good morning," he smiles, making his way over to the sink.

"Good morning," Aria and I respond. I notice suspicion lacing both of our tones, we are on the same page this morning.

Out the corner of my eye, I can see Aria spy the mugs too but I keep my gaze trained on dad. He visibly squirms as he tries to act normal but we can both tell he's hiding something.

"Hey, uh, listen, your Mom called," He starts, "she is going to swing by for coffee and see if you guys want a lift to school."

Aria lifts the two mugs. "She's coming for coffee?" she asks, arching her eyebrow.

"Yeah, that's right," Dad confirms.

"So the kitchen table exists in another dimension where that already happened?" I point out. Dad exhales sharply, knowing we've caught him out. "We heard the door slam. Was that Mom, or was that someone else?"

"Uh, no. No, that was, uh, your Mom."

"So she was already here this morning," Aria says, continuing where I left off. Dad nods causing us both to sigh. Well in my case, roll my eyes also.

"Why does she have to leave and fake coming back?" I ask. Our father doesn't reply making us both jump to the same conclusion.

"Because she wasn't just here this morning," Aria guesses, "she was here last night. Mom was here all night?" The questioning tone was quickly replaced by something else, excitement.