6. There's No Place Like Homecoming

Homecoming, a tradition that America has to celebrate the return of former students back to their old alma matter. The week prior there are lots of activities that raise school spirit for the big night. This is the Homecoming, and there are three events. The events normally happen as follows; a game of some kind (usually football), a parade and finally a dance.

Rosewood High School is no different.

I for one don't like the whole event. I mean it just singles out any kid that;
A) isn't popular
B) got some one to ask them to the dance.

Basically it's a manufactured event that makes the popular kids even more self absorbed, the returning students to live out their glory days and the rest of the student population feel an extra amount of pressure to fit in.

But hey, maybe this is just me being bitter. I mean I have a date, I have friends and I am popular (well that can be debated) but why do I feel like I'm under a crushing weight? I should be delighted, right?

It's Aria. My other half, my best friend, my twin has been unconsolable all day. She is currently lying in her bed; hair sloppily in a messy ponytail, no makeup, puffy eyes and is wearing sweats. I am cuddled up next to her, giving all the hugs a twin can give to try and mend her broken heart.

If Ezra Fitz wasn't my teacher, I would have murdered him for doing this to her.

As if they had a bat signal for heartache, the others came bearing gifts of chocolate and magazines to help soothe Aria's pain. But I think they think that it is due to our parents not a relationship breakup with our English teavher.

"Hey guys," I greet, detangling myself from my sister's arms. She grumbles in response to my movement.

"How long has she been like this?" Spencer asks.

"A few days," I answer before telling the lie that we agreed on, "She is taking it hard with our parents... you know."

Spencer makes her way over to the curled up lump residing on my bed and pulls the earplug out of her ear. "Hey," she says softly to the girl.

"Mmmm," Aria grumbles in protest, "What are you doing?"

"An intervention," Spencer states, "Maybe you could let your  sister out of your sight for 20mins."

"We brought takeout and rag mags," Emily adds, showing her the glossy magazimes in her arms. She then tosses the pile into the indent on the bed where I was seconds ago.

"But you cannot have any of those until you get out of these sweats," Hanna orders. She can be a stubborn one if she wants to be and something tells me she will get Aria out of those sweats.

"Whu? What's wrong with these?" Aria asks. After what seems like a lot of effort for her she makes her way into a sitting position, sinking slightly into the pillow as she leans on it.

"Nothing...except they're starting to graft to your skin."

"Well they are comfy."

"So are mom jeans and platform flip flops," Hanna states, ever the fashionista. "And you have got Alyssa dressing the same. God are you two the same person."

The girls do a cursory look at my outfit and do not make any effort to hide their distain. I look down at my black hoodie, that I am pretty sure is Mike's, and dark sweats I have on. I have my hair pulled back into plaits, the only thing able to distract my distressed sister was for her to plait my hair.

"Hey!"I protest,"I second my sister they are comfy and I have been healing."

That's not a lie. The black and blue pattern on my body has now faded to a nice yellow tinge. I look like a Simpson.. or someone with liver failure. The nail polish came off in the first shower but the words? I feel like they have been permanently inked into my mind. I guess that was the idea.