twenty three

2009

The night life of Santa Carla breathes fresh life into Beth that she hasn't had in 22 years. The lights are still so bright and beautiful, the ocean air makes her jittery again and the warm feel brings back so many wonderful memories.

The only thing that's bothering her is her youngest son who keep complaining about the hot weather.

"I didn't know I was going to sweat to death, I would've wore a tank top."

Jake wasn't too hard to satisfy, and even though he can get on Beth's nerves sometimes, he's still her baby. No matter if he's 20 or not.

"It's not too bad, dude. Chill."

And, Logan, the only thing of Paul she left with. She didn't even know she was pregnant until she and Aries had already left Santa Carla, and she was too scared to go back after what had happened. She's just happy he didn't come out with a demonic face.

"Mom, it's hot. Can I just go back to the apartment and change my shirt?"

Jake, however, was from a short lived relationship, and while he doesn't necessarily know who his father is, he doesn't ever seem to mind.

Beth sighs and stop in front of a store that she remembers was once an antique shop. She fishes the key out of her pocket and drops it into her son's hand before grabbing his arm to prevent him from leaving yet.

"Logan, do you need to–"

Beth stops when he notices Logan is looking at some motor bikes parked outside a body parlor.  She knows that look on his face, it's the way Paul looked at a bike.

She pats Jake's shoulder. "Go on, we'll be here on the boardwalk."

Jake runs a hand through his bleached hair and walks off, and he doesn't get but maybe 10 feet before the sound of a bike roars loud and Jake starts to curse. It nearly gives Beth a heart attack.

"Hey! You need to watch where you're going!"

She practically runs to Jake while continuing to yell at the person on the bike. She doesn't stop running until she gets between Jake and the person, and by the time she's really able to get a good look at them, her mouth goes dry.

Sitting on the bike, with short hair and clothes like the ones she's always complaining about her son's wearing, is Paul.

"P-Paul...? Oh my–"

"Your driving sucks, dude!"

Beth hits Jake's shoulder and makes a face at him, and he instantly shuts up. He takes a step back and stands behind her, while Logan makes a face at Paul.

"You know him, mom?"

Beth is having a hard time finding words at the moment. Her brain is still in shock from seeing Paul, and he looks the exact same as he did 22 years ago. She didn't expect anything else, though.

"Uh, kinda. He's... he's–"

"I'm a relative of Beth's old friend."

Paul's smirk is knowing, and he glances at Logan for a second too long.

"These your boys, Beth?"

She nods. "Yeah, yeah. My oldest Logan, and my youngest Jake."

Paul's eyes still linger on Logan, and she briefly wonders if she'll have the time to explain everything before she leaves Santa Carla.

She turns to her sons. "Boys, why don't you go do something? Ride some rides and play games. Try to beat your Aunt Aries' score at skee ball."

She shoves some $20's in Logan's hand and waves them off. They give her weird faces, but she only tightly smiles in return until they're around the corner at the water games before turning back to Paul.

He's still smirking at her. "You just couldn't stay away from me, could you?"

She smiles, truly smiles. "Don't be nasty, Paul. I'm not what I used to be."

"Still look good to me. Hell, I don't think you've ever looked bad to me."

He pats the back of his seat, and for a moment, Beth almost falls back into the motions of getting on the bike behind him, the familiar feel of his body against hers. She hesitates.

"You sure? Paul, I'm not 20 anymore."

"Hop on. You've got some explaining to do, and I know the perfect place to do this... explaining."

She bites the inside of her cheek to stop from smirking, and as she slides onto the bike, she feels 20 again.

(A/N: I know Paul is a vampire but sperm doesn't die for a while, so their son is 100% human! Also, yes, Logan and Jake Paul are who I picked for Beth's sons. Not my first choice.)

)