twenty one

The lock to the apartment has never been harder to open. The key barely fits as it is, but it seems Beth locked both the knob and deadbolt.

Paranoid.

"Did you have to lock both?"

"Yes! Do you know scared I am after–"

Aries gives the door a big push and it gives to. Either Beth didn't lock the deadbolt good, or she's just messed up their door.

She grabs Beth's hand. "C'mon."

They both go into the apartment, even though Beth tried to hang onto the door frame, and before they can get their bearings in the darkness, the ceiling fan light is switched on in the living room.

And Paul and Dwayne are there.

With blood on them.

Perfect.

"Stay back! You just stay back!"

Beth is backing up into the kitchenette of the place, feeling around the counter for something, probably to throw. Paul is quicker than her, though, and he's able to grip her arms before she can really grasp anything. He looks her in the eyes and starts whispering things to her, and she seems at ease for a moment.

Dwayne is in front of Aries, although he makes no move to grab her. He's just holding his hands up to say he means no harm.

After what she's seen him do, she hardly doubts that.

"Aries, listen to me, okay. Just trust me one more time."

She really wants to freak out, to lash out and hit him or punch him but she can't. There's something in his eyes that just aren't right.

He continues. "I know, you and Beth probably want answers and I wish I had them, but you both have to leave."

"Leave? What do you mean leave?"

Dwayne glances at Paul, and Paul nods.

"At first, when we all got together, everything seemed like it was going to work, but it didn't. Something happened and you can't stay here. It's too much."

It's irrational what he's saying, he wants her and Beth to just pick up what they have and leave. They have no where to go, all they have is Santa Carla. That's their home.

She would've said something along those lines if the panic in Dwayne's eyes didn't scare her so much. There's something seriously wrong, and she honestly thinks he's telling the truth.

Aries swallows the spit in her mouth. "Where would we go?"

"Anywhere."

Aries doesn't want to believe it. "Okay."