twenty two

"Ready?"

Aries glances back at Beth, the blonde girl is still looking mourningly at the building she once called home. Their bags and boxes are packed and ready go, already loaded up in the U-Haul. Beth is just hesitating.

She finally turns from the building, the morning sunshine serving as a comforter to her. They both climb into the small cab of the rental pick up, shutting the doors with heavy hands.

This place, Santa Carla, is their home. At first glance, it terrified them and made them want to return to their parents houses, but they made it for 3 years in paradise. They've partied, they've drunk, got high and everything under the moon that falls under the category of living. Aries has her memories, as does Beth.

As Aries cranks up the truck, Beth smiles lightly. "He told me I was special."

Aries made a face, and Beth continued.

"Paul. He told me I was so damn special, and he hated it sometimes. But, at least I can leave knowing I wasn't just a fling."

Beth's smile slowly melts away and she starts crying. Her eyes drop tears and her nose gets stuffy, and Aries honestly expected nothing less. She knows how hard this is for Beth, and it's nothing less for Aries herself. This is their place of safety, where two great guys are willing to be with them, but want the girls safe before themselves.

"And, Dwayne cares about you. He's only known you for a week, but I've never seen his eyes light up the way they do when he looks at you."

That set Aries off.

She starts crying and gets a snotty nose, but it's okay. It's better to get it out before they hit the road. It's hard to even think about the past week without just wanting to tell Dwayne that he means something to her, that's he's important and she'll never forget him. He'll always be present with her.

The tears dry up and the crying calms, and without another glance back at the building, they set out on the main highway.