Chapter 30 - Summer Ball

The day has come!

I’m so excited and terrified at the same time I think I’ll puke and I’m not exaggerating. I’m going to a ball, Mare and I are going to perform the song I wrote. I’ll see Harry there. We might dance together. I can ask him how he feel about me…

And I can’t imagine anything further because the moths in my stomach make me giggle. Oh yeah, I’ve got used to call them moth. It’s suitable after all.

So many things can happen tonight and I’m scared that things might go wrong and everything will end up badly. No matter how much I like fairy tales, life isn’t like in those stories. Magic like in those tales doesn’t exist, no one will fix everything so I can have a happy ending with my prince charming. That kind of magic doesn’t exist.

But there is a kind of magic, though. Isn’t it magical when you fall in love? When just thinking of someone makes you feel lighter and all tingly inside? Isn’t magical when you heart races when you see that person? Isn’t it magical to feel like that about someone else?

And that’s not everything! The world itself is full of magic. Some call it science, they know exactly what happens, but most of us don’t. We don’t have explanations for the marvellous things that happen around us and I like to think of that like magic. Real magic.

It’s not like in the movies or fairy tales, but it’s beautiful nonetheless.

So I jump off bed and run to get ready, showering and dressing as fast I can. Then I go to the crops and greet Dad and Timmy. Both know I’m going to the ball tonight so I’ll be staying all day with Mare, getting ready for tonight. Last rehearsals and everything. Rhonda gave her the day off to make sure our presentation goes flawless.

I’m so excited! My heart is beating so fast in my chest and I can’t wipe the smile off of my face and when I get to the retreat centre and see Mare I can’t help burst out giggling.

“Blimey, aren’t we excited?”

“And terrified!” I tell Mare and she laughs and hugs me tightly.                         

“It’s going to be all right, sweetheart. Don't worry, it’ll be a magical night,” she reassures me and I smile brightly at her before we both help Carl with the delivery and then leave to the ballroom to make sure all the sound system is right and make a sound check.

I can’t wait for tonight.

+ + + + +

“Ari,” Mare says when we are getting ready to go to the ball. I haven’t seen Harry in the whole day and I wonder if he looked for me. “You dye your own hair, right?”

“Yes,” I reply confused as why she is asking that.

“Sweetie, you’re killing your hair! It’s all dry and… if you’re gonna expose your hair to such conditions so regularly, then you need to take extra care of it. I’ll teach you how, okay?” I turn around to look at her, she’s standing behind me with a brush in her hands and a big smile on her lips.

“Really?” I ask her with big eyes and her smile widens.

“Of course!” she replies and I lean on her, resting my head on her chest for a few seconds. Since Mary left I haven’t had a big sister figure around, someone who would teach me those little things about being a woman, you know? It’s so wonderful to have Mare now. “Anyways, I’m almost done. Once Harry sees you tonight he’s gonna fall to your feet, Ari.”