Chapter 1 - Summer Season

Summer season has begun and with it even more work. I’ve finished with my further education and now all I do is help Dad and work at the retreat centre. I knew it was exclusive but I learnt it’s more than that. Rhonda Drennan has a retreat for celebrities all over the world who come here to escape their hectic lives, looking for a bit of normalcy.

Although I’m not really immerse in the world and I don’t talk to people besides my dad, I know some of the things that are happening. I watch movies, I listen to music. I listen to music all the time. So I know of some celebrities and the first time I saw, for instance, Demi Lovato, I died internally. My music taste is so wide and colourful, I believe every musician is great in their own way and you just have to appreciate them and contrast them only with themselves.

Of course I don’t get pictures or autographs, I just hide behind something and watch like a creep, but still, it makes me happy to know musicians I love come here for a break. Everyone deserves that and they seem to have a great time. It doesn’t even bother me that they come to the lake. Part of the agreement Dad arranged is to extend the crops so they have better and more vegetables, and two trips on boat around the lake during the afternoon. Mrs Drennan even hired an instructor to teach the guests to sail a small boat without drowning.

I watch everything that happens from afar and I’ve seen more movement that I ever expected, and contrary to what I believed first, it’s not bad. It’s colourful to see so many people that are so confident and secure of what they can do. It’s inspiring, but a bit sad at the same time because I can’t be like them. I’ll never be able to even tell one of the guests how big of a fan I am.

 It doesn’t bother me, the thought that this is how it’s going to be from now on, sharing my kingdom with the people that entertain millions all around the world. That’s lovely, if you ask me. Plus, it’s helping us to make ends meet.

During the day I help dad at our property, at night, after dinnertime I go to the retreat centre and clean and maintain the music room. My dad told Mrs Drennan that I love music and that I am really careful, so she offered me that job and I took it as she told me I could use the instruments, as well. Since we started to have money issues, we had to sell Mum’s piano —among other things—, the one she used to teach me, and I’ve missed it so much. So now I have a chance to play the piano and learn other instruments. The music room at the centre is huge and beautiful, with every instrument I’ve heard of.

I finish around eleven, really late, but at that time it's lovely and I always stop by the lake, to enjoy the night. I’ve always loved to swim, but it’s even more special at night. Tonight is no exception, I just leave my clothes at the dock —I always wear a swimsuit under my clothes— and dive in. The cold water only bothers me for a few minutes, I get used to it so soon and then I only enjoy.

When I’m in the water it’s the only time I feel free and like I belong. I don’t feel like an awkward little girl but like a real mermaid, someone who was born to be in the water. If I could have one wish I’d ask to be a real mermaid. I’d love to be always in the water and sing with the fishes. Yes, like in the movie.

I swim and explore the lake, enjoying myself as I hum any song I have in my mind at the moment. I’m oblivious to the world around me because I feel like I’m in my own bubble and here no one can bother me. Here it doesn’t matter if I can’t talk to strangers or if I blush like a tomato every time someone tries to smile at me. Nothing of that really matters when I’m in the water and no one should come by the lake at this time but oh well, things are a bit different now.

I’m just floating on the water, looking at the stars and the moon shining so bright when I hear something. I jerk and pay attention, looking in the trees' direction, at the small forest that divides our property from the Drennan’s and when I see two guys coming on horses I sink in the water and swim to the dock, hiding from them. I only rise when I know I’m in a place they won’t see me in.