Chapter 3 - Mystery

Chapter 3 - Mystery

I don’t know what he is looking for but he is deep in thought, unaware I’m around. For a few minutes I don’t move, I just stare at his figure on the dock, watching the lake, trying to find something maybe. We’re both in silence and I don’t know why I don’t move until I see him looking down. Then I panic. What do I do if he turns around and sees me? What if he asks me something? What do I do then?

And that’s why I hide. Yes, I know how coward that is but I do it anyways. And the worst part is that I don’t even find a decent place to hide, I just jump behind some bushes near the cottage. From there I still watch him standing on the dock.

Seriously, what is Harry doing here? Well, at least he’s not dead and if he came here alone, then he can move without fainting. Now, maybe he does have a concussion and that’s why he’s here. That is an option.

He turns around and it’s different to see him under this light… and from behind some bushes. It’s really weird, to be honest. I don’t think I’ll ever get used to see those celebrities in person that millions adore and follow. They are idols for so many but I’m seeing him right now like any other person. Like I see Timmy every day.

This is so surreal.

I still don’t know what Harry is doing here but he seems to be looking for something. Maybe he lost something last night when he fell. Maybe I should look for it, it may be precious to him.

I wish, so badly, that I could gather the courage to walk up to him and ask him if he needs help. To ask him if he’s okay. I wish I wouldn’t be this afraid to speak to other people. I wish I would be just like the real Ariel. Curious and bold, eager to go to the world outside, defying even her father just for what she wants. I can’t even defy myself. I’m just a scary-cat, too shy to even do something for someone else. I only saved him last night because he wasn’t conscious and I didn’t have the time to think, I just acted.  Those kind of situations don’t happen all the time.

Harry sighs and leaves the dock. Whatever he was looking for is here and he knows it. Apparently, he came walking because I don’t see any horse or another kind of transportation. It’s not that far away, maybe twenty minutes.

He leaves and I’m still behind the bushes, wondering why he was here and sad because I couldn’t ask him.

Well, at least I know he is all right and later I can check the lake in case I find something that could belong to him.

After a while, when I know he won’t come back I leave my hiding place behind the bushes and start doing what I came here for, trying not to think of how much I’m not like the little mermaid. There’s no point on keep dwelling on something I can’t change. I’m this person, I can’t be the outgoing and charismatic Disney princess.

So I carry on with my life because I have no business with Harry Styles. Yes, I saved his life, but that doesn’t mean he owes me something or that for that reason we should become friends now. That’s the most idiotic thing.

I just push every thought about him aside and carry on with my life. Like I normally do.

+ + + + +

To be honest, I look forward to the nights. I really enjoy going to the centre and being in the music room. So after I have dinner with my father, I make sure he goes to bed and then head to the retreat centre. I take my time because I’m supposed to be there at ten so I enjoy the landscape and the fresh air. I really love living here, I know there are so many other wonders outside, but this place is wonderful. It’s like a whole different world. Everything is different here, it’s so beautiful. And come on! Celebrities are normal people, treated like any other guests in any other retreat centre. Don’t tell me this place isn't special.