Chapter 8 - A Love Story

What would any normal girl do after that embarrassing moment? After begging to the earth to devour her because she humiliated herself? Well, a normal girl would maybe hide in her room and refuse to go out. Or maybe she would call her best friend and ask for some support. What do I do? I turn up the music as loud as I can so I won’t hear my own thoughts —which are quite bitter lately— and clean the whole house. Yes, almost an extreme makeover whilst I sing at the top of my lungs.

Singing and cleaning won’t take the embarrassment away, but it will keep my mind busy for a few hours and that’s a break already, so I take it.

One of my most precious possessions is my iPod. I know that maybe an iPhone would be better, but I have a simple mobile that I only use to text and call my sisters. I really don’t need a phone. But the iPod is irreplaceable in my life. I can’t live without music. And this is a present I got two years ago, an iPod of sixty-four GB.

So leaving my iPod on shuffle means that any song can come up next and it’s fun to see all the different songs I have and how one can come after the other. So it’s not hard to get into the music as hours pass until it’s dinnertime and then I have to leave to the retreat centre.

When Dad asks me if something happened to me, I don’t tell him the truth. What would be the point in telling him that I wanted to talk to Harry but I just failed? Again. He would probably feel bad for me and ask himself what he could do to help me and if this is his fault somehow. That’s what he always does so I rather spare him that.

“Go to sleep and I’ll see you tomorrow, okay? Don’t wait for me,” I tell him before I have to leave.

“Will do, princess. But be careful,” he insist again and I smile at him. I wish it could be as easy to speak to others as it’s to speak to my dad.

“Don’t worry, I’ll be fine. I do this all the time,” I remind him and he nods.

“Still, it’s my job to worry,” he insists and I giggle. “I love you, Ariel.”

“I love you, too, Dad. See you tomorrow. Goodnight,” I say before kissing his cheek and grabbing a jumper so I won’t freeze to death on my way back. Wearing just a dress and my trainers is not a wise decision at midnight. Especially if I’ll stop for a night swim.

I decide to walk to the centre because the fresh air is always nice and I’m not in a hurry. I enjoy this walk to the Drennan’s property. On my way to the big complex I walk past the stables. I don’t do this all the time, but sometimes I stop by just to take a look and admire the horses. Tonight I’m in the mood to do it so I stop and head inside, but I stop before I make it to the doors when I see —and hear— someone coming, so I hide, immediately. I think that’s my natural reaction to any other person that may cross my path.

I hide behind some bushes —I don’t know why I’m ending in places like this so often, maybe it’s a sign— and wait. As the other person gets closer I recognise him: Niall Horan.

He walks slowly, kicking rocks with his feet and looking down, not really paying attention to anyone else. And he doesn’t stop until he’s inside the stables.

I decide it’s none of my business to stay and eavesdrop what he’s doing there, but when I hear him talking to the horse I can’t help myself and stay there, watching him from the doorframe of the stables once I leave the bushes.

“Hey, big boy,” he greets the black horse, petting the horse and putting their faces together in such a familiar gesture that it warms my heart. It’s like he absolutely loves the horse, like it’s his friend.