Chapter 6 - The Note

In the afternoon I go to the forest between the Drennan’s and our property, where I hid last night from Harry. I’m kind of hiding again, but just because I don’t want people to think I’m a creep —although I kind of am— as I watch them. It’s time for one of the trips on boat across the lake so some guests have come. None of them that I know, but still, I smile as I watch them. Someone knows them, someone loves them even if that someone is not me. It must be great to know that people out there actually love what you do and care about you.

So I watch them. I’m trying to see people interacting; maybe I can learn something or maybe I can try to, I don’t know, get in contact with them.

Is it just me or do I sound like an alien?

I shake my head and keep watching from the tree as the instructor tells them how to row without killing themselves. So far no incident, so I assume he’s a good instructor. I have no idea what they are saying or anything, but I see them laughing and talking to each other from afar and they seem to be having fun. It looks so easy from where I’m sitting —hanging—, like it doesn’t take a maximum of effort to have a conversation but every time I’ve tried, I always feel like I’m going to have a heart attack.

Can it be that it’s just me?

What would happen if I met someone as shy as me? Would it be easier as that other person would know exactly how I feel or would it be worse?

After a while I decide it’s enough of spying on the guests and get down from the tree. I’m pretty good at climbing, probably because I loved doing that as a kid and these trees are so familiar to me. But I notice something I didn’t see when I came here before the guests arrived. It’s an envelope. A red envelope with the logo of the retreat centre and I frown. What’s that thing doing here?

I jump to the ground and then walk over to it and pick it up from the rock where it’s lying. Still frowning I turn it around to see if it’s addressed to someone and I’m surprised when I read the words lake girl on it.

Lake girl? Could it be me?

Curious, I open the envelope to find a brief note inside on a white piece of paper, also with the logo of the retreat centre.

Dear Lake Girl (Sorry, I don’t know your name)

I really wanted to do this in person but you gave me no choice. I just wanted to say thank you for saving my life. I know you pulled me out of the water and took care of me until Niall came back. I don’t know why you ran away (twice) but still, thank you.

Forever in your debt, Harry x

PS: If you ever let me pay you back for what you did, let me know.

I blink in surprise after reading the note and I notice how a smile starts to make its way to my lips until I’m actually grinning, still holding the piece of paper in my hands.

He wrote me a note, a thank you note, but still. It’s the first time someone who’s not family tries so hard to communicate with me. I ran away from him and he still tried. It’s not just so polite and nice of him, but also somehow… heart-warming. For someone like me, who has barely had any contact with other people, this is so special and lovely.

And again I sound like someone from another planet. Maybe I am a mermaid at heart and I really don’t belong here.

And I really should stop comparing myself to the little mermaid. It’s clear I’m a disappointment for my name. I can’t live up to it.