Chapter 20 - Safe Haven

“Hey there,” I hear someone saying when I’m securing the boats before the trips of today. I turn around and I find Harry standing at a reasonable distance, wearing a plain t-shirt and shorts with trainers and smiling at me warmly.

My heart races in my chest and I feel the usual lump in my throat. I recognise all the symptoms but at the same time, I smile when I see him there. It’s been a few days since I saw him last and I’ve been working with Mare both on my confidence and our video. We have it almost ready and even I make an appearance playing the piano. Mostly my hands, Mare wanted me to appear more but I couldn’t take it. Another proof that I could never be an artist or perform in front of anyone. I can’t even face a camera.

Mare’s given me a few tasks every day. Like start a conversation, greet more people, even ride during one of trips across the lake, just to be around more people without a way out. It’s still hard, but I’ve accomplished every task and Mare is always so happy for me that I’m starting to build my own confidence in myself. Seeing results is so rewarding.

“Hey, Harry,” I reply shyly but still, no stuttering. Yay for me!

“How are you? I haven’t seen you around. Busy?” Harry inquires next taking a step closer. I stand straighter, a bit more nervous.

One of the things Mare’s told me is that being aware of exactly how my body reacts allows me to concentrate in those reactions and handle them. I have to focus on certain reaction and try to calm down. Like for instance my racing heart. I close my eyes for two seconds and take a deep breath, urging my heart to relax. It works. I mean, it’s still beating faster than usual, but I don’t feel like I’m going to have a stroke. I can control my body.

“Yeah, a bit,” is my answer and I keep the smile. “You?”

I know my conversation with Harry is not very eloquent. For instance, I’m way more comfortable talking to Timmy —we’ve become good friends, he’s really like an older brother—, Mare and even Carl. He’s nice, too.

“Doing nothing. Hanging out with Niall. He’s becoming a professional horse ride, though,” Harry replies with an amused grin. “I’m not a good horse rider myself but I try.”

“That’s what counts,” I tell him and his grin widens.

“May I help you with something or are you done?” he asks me next and I turn to see that all the boats are securely tied.

I turn around again to meet his eyes. “I’m done here.” 

Harry smiles brightly at me, his eyes light up with happiness and I get that feeling again, incredulity that he seems so happy to be around me, to be my friend. I don’t get it, when I’m just a boring and shy girl. But he really, really looks happy. I get why I would feel like that for spending time with him. I get why everyone would be happy to have one of Harry’s smiles, but who am I to make him smile like that?

“Wanna take a walk?” he proposes and I shrug, not minding at all what we do. I’d be nervously happy anyway.

So we leave the dock and start walking around the lake, calmly. We don’t say anything at the beginning and maybe I should break the ice, but everyone knows I’m not that type. I’m used to silence, after all. That’s why we keep walking in silence but you know what? It’s not awkward. I mean, it is, but not that awkward. There’s something comforting about Harry, like his presence puts you at ease.

Without noticing, we step into the forest. I barely notice this because I’m used to it. I’m so used to these surroundings that I can even walk around with my eyes closed. But Harry isn’t and he starts tripping.