Chapter 4 - Clumsy

Chapter 4 - Clumsy

I honestly think I could stay in the lake forever even if all my skin looks like an eighty-year old granny’s would look like. I’m always so happy here. It’s just so easy to swim without worrying about the world outside. It even feels like time freezes and I only have this moment forever.

I always loved the movie The Little Mermaid and I think she really, really had to love Eric if she gave up to her world under the sea for him. Seriously, can you love someone that much as to give up on your home? On that place that is your safe haven? I do believe in love but we have surviving instincts and giving up on the place that keeps you safe and sound doesn’t seem to follow that theory. I don't know, it’s a thought. But again, I’ve never been in love. I’ve only read about it and seen it in movies so I don’t know. Maybe love is stronger than self-preservation.

I keep swimming as my mind keeps wandering through so many different topics. It’s always like that, I’m always thinking of something, wondering. That’s why it’s so easy for me to zone out in any moment. I just see those little things that people tend to take for granted and ignore them. I pay attention to those things and really give them a thought.

“Hey!” I hear a shout whilst I’m still floating on the water, looking at the stars and trying to see the constellations as they are supposed to be.

Startled, I sink in the water and then hurry to come out to the surface again, coughing away the water that got in my nose by accident. I look around, my eyes wide open looking for the someone who shouted. I didn’t imagine that, I really heard someone.

“Hey you!” I hear again, a male’s voice and I start to panic, looking everywhere.

I finally find him, standing on the dock, waving his arms. I’m quite far away from where he’s standing and I can’t recognise him, but I’m sure he’s not my dad. My dad is not slim and tall like that man and certainly not that young. My dad barely has hair and this guy has loads.

Oh God! What is he doing here? It’s late, no one is supposed to be here at this time of the night.

I look around, scared and with my heart hammering in my ribcage. What if he’s a murderer? Then I’ll be a case of CSI!

I sink in the water, hiding from him and swimming away. It’s a big lake, I can run from him. I know this land like the back of my hand, I can lose him if he comes after me. Whoever he is and whatever he wants, he won’t get it.

I get to the lakeside near the trees that form the little forest that separates the two properties, so I use the bushes and trees to hide as I leave the water. I sneak out, dripping cold water and feeling the cold air embracing me and making me shiver. I still look around, looking for this guy and careful not to make much noise.

I’m hiding behind a tree when I see him coming from the dock, running, looking around… looking for me? Oh God, what if he really wants to kill me? I hide even more, kneeling and trying to disappear into the darkness of the forest. But he comes in this direction. He can’t know where I am, can he?

“Where are you?” he asks and as he approaches even more, I can finally recognise him… and his voice.

What is Harry doing here? Shouldn't he be in the retreat centre, getting rest?

“I know you’re somewhere. Please,” he speaks again but I keep hiding. I don’t think he’ll kill me but still, I don’t want to embarrass myself in front of him by stuttering like a big idiot.

He keeps approaching, walking further into the forest and struggling with the twigs and roots on the ground. Pushing aside branches and bushes. Still looking.