Chapter 17

Swiftstream and Hollyberry padded down the tunnel to the Silverlake. It was Swiftstream's time to join the greatest leaders. Hollyberry sat beside the pool. 'Drink and then settle down. Starclan will send you a dream.' She mewed, looking as Swiftstream obeyed.
---
Swiftstream woke on a clearing that was litten by a full moon. She saw nine stars pass down to her, encircling her. The stars shone brightly and nine cats formed out of them. Swiftstream saw Fallowwhisker, Greenleaf, Icecloud, Dawnpatch, Owlstar, Blossomcloud, Otterclaw, Woolenstar and Turtlestar. Each of them dipped their heads and sat down. First one to step forward was Fallowwhisker, standing with her face to face. 'With this life, I give you forgiveness. Use it well to forgive the ones who faked and betrayed you.' He touched his nose with Swiftstream's. The life rushed through her, pain flaming in her veins. She opened her eyes. 'Please, forgive me. I should have stayed with you.' Fallowwhisker dropped his head. 'But you did. You always were.' Swiftstream touched him with her tail. He dipped his head and padded to the circle. Next was Greenleaf.
'With this life, I give you wisdom. Use it well to guide your clanmates wisely.' They touched noses and another life swept through Swiftstream. Next was Icecloud, giving her the life of judgement. Then Dawnpatch life of loyalty, Owlstar the life of strenght, Otterclaw the life of mentoring. Next stepped out Blossomcloud. Her unseeing eyes were lost in time, now she had her sight back. 'With this life I give you insight. Use it well to see the truth, no matter how hidden it is.' Blossomcloud touched her nose with Swiftstream. This life felt different. Not as painfull as the others. But it still felt as if claws raked her mind. She opened her eyes to see Woolenstar in front of her. 'With this life, I give you love. Use it well for the others, especially Lionpelt.' Noses touched and the life swept inside her. It felt warm. This is how she felt about Specklecloud? And her kits? Her sister?
The last stepped forward Turtlestar. Welcome Swiftstream. My daughter, my warrior, and my deputy. With this life I give you nobility. Use it well to lead your clan through hard times.' They touched noses, life felt as a flowing river. 'Swiftstream, I grand you by your new name, Swiftstar. You have earned your nine lives. Serve your clan well.' Turtlestar mewed. 'Swiftstar! Swiftstar!' The nine cats began to call her by her new name.
---
'Turtlestar! Wait!' Swiftstar called after her mother. 'You promised Hollyberry to tell me what the prophecy meant.'
Turtlestar turned, scanning her with her pale blue gaze.
'Look up on those stars.' Turtlestar mewed, pointing at the two small stars. 'Wait and see. They will grow quickly.'
---
'Welcome back, Swiftstar.' Hollyberry's mew brought Swiftstar back to the waking world. 'We shall go. We must be back by sunhigh.'
The two cats soon emerged from the entrance to the camp. Cats turned their gazes to them. When they saw their new leader, they began to crowd around them and congratulate her. Lionpelt padded to her with a purr. 'Welcome home, Swiftstar.'
---
The new leader looked around the clearing. Her gaze met Brindlepelt's by the nursery. Thushkit, Mistykit and Lapiskit will soon be apprenticed. I have to appoint a new deputy! Swiftstar remembered herself. And I know who.. her gaze swept over her friends. She padded to Stormpool, ready to ask him who should be the new deputy.
He flicked his tail in greetings as Swiftstar settled down beside him. 'Stormpool, I need your help. Who should be the new deputy?' She mewed. Stormpool shook his head. 'That's your decision, not mine.'
Swiftstar narrowed her eyes. Her friend alway knew what to say. She closed her eyes. 'You have been on this path for too long. It's time for a great change.' She murmured, opening her eyes.
She leapt on the Tallrock. 'May all cats okd enough to catch their own prey, gather together!'
---
Cats settled below the Tallrock as Swiftstar ordered. Stormpool was among them, casting a doubtfull look on Swiftstar.
'A new deputy must be appointed. I say these words before the spirits of Starclan, so they may hear and approve my choice. Stormpool will be the new deputy of Nightclan.' Her voice rang from the rock.
'But he hasn't got an apprentice!' Some cat yowled.
'I trust him with my life. He always helped me in need. And once the time comes, he will mentor Trushkit.' Swiftstar called. She saw Trushkit bounce with happiness. He let out a squeak. Swiftstar's whiskers twitched with amusement. She turned back at cats. Stormpool stepped forward. 'Thank you. I will serve you well.' He meowed, dipping his head.
'Stormpool! Stormpool!'
---
Moons passed since I was made a leader. Nightclan recovered quickly, with Stormpool's help I saw leading easy. Until one day..
---
Swiftstar was walking heavily through the clearing to the fresh-kill pile. She saw Lionpelt and Hollyberry eating already, and she padded to join them.
'Greetings, Swiftstar. Want to share some prey?' Lionpelt meowed, flicking his tail. 'Thanks, Lionpelt.' Swiftstar settled down.
'Looks like you have grown plump, Swiftstar. I have few doubts about it. I want you in medicine den after you eat.' Hollyberry scanned her leader with a doubtfull look. She dipped her head and trotted into her den.
After Swiftstar and Lionpelt shared a squirrel, she padded after Hollyberry to the medicine den. Hollyberry was already waiting for her. 'Come. Lay still.' Hollyberry examined Swiftstar. She put her front paws on Swiftstar's belly. Swiftstar squealed with agony. Hollyberry looked up again. 'You'll have kits, Swiftstar.' Hollyberry mewed with small sparkes in her eyes. 'Two of them.' They will grow quickly.. Turtlestar's words echoed in Swiftstar's mind. Two small stars.. The kits!
---
After few days Swiftstar couldn't even put a paw in front of the other. Lionpelt and Hollyberry looked af her doubtfully. 'Stay here.' Hollyberry mewed, leaving the two cats in the leader's den. Soon she emerged with Thistlepelt. 'Help her stand up. We're moving her to the nursery.' She murmured.
'No! What about the clan?' Swiftstar meowed, claws unsheated because of pain.
'Stormpool knows. He will lead the clan until you will bd able to take your place. Now come, the kits are on the way.' Hollyberry muttered, lashing her tail.
The three cats padded into the nursery, letting Swiftstar lay down. Thistlepelt put his tail on his brother's shoulder, turning to his sister, Hollyberry, he dipped his head and headed out. Lionpelt settled down beside Swiftstar and Hollyberry brought some herbs and a stick. 'Bite this in pain.' Hollyberry ordered.
Soon, two little scraps laid on the ground, mewling. Swiftstar took one of them and started to clean it's gray fur. 'They are adorable. We have two she-kits.' Swiftstar mewed to Lionpelt. His eyes sparkled as he looked at the second one, a pale yellowish orange kit. 'I'll name her Dandelionkit.' He murmured, warming the kit.
'And this will be Featherkit.' Swiftstar mewed, pressing against a little gray kit. A prophecy echoed in her head. What Moon harms to protect, Sun will heal..
They have come.
---