Chapter 14

After the Gathering, every cat worked harder. Nightclan and Fireclan were in a big danger, each warrior was preparing for a big battle. Swiftstream and Palepaw were practising new battle skills with Lionpelt and Rainpaw. Each apprentice had now two mentors, Stormpool was helping Swiftstream and Thistlepelt was helping his brother.
---
'Let all cats old enough to catch their own prey, gather together!' Turtlestar's voice rang. Cats began to crowd, some cats' tails were twitching.
'As you all know, Bloodclan warned us about their attack. In these hard days, you were all working hard. Thank you. You may now rest, I want to speak with Woolentail and Greenleaf.'
---
Small stars floated on the midnight-dark sky. All cats were asleep. Outside the gorse barrier, Swiftstream could hear rustling of the bushes. But there was no wind, nor breeze. She crept outside the warriors den and saw a white tip of tail dissapear in the gorse tunnel. Nightwind? She padded after the black tom.
'Fox-dung!' She heard Nightwind hiss. She ran toward him.
'They were spying on us!' He hissed, looking at Swiftstream, his eyes narrowed. Swiftstream tasted the air.
'Bloodclan! That bunch of traitors!' She hissed. 'Come on, we have to tell this to Turtlestar!'
---
Swiftstream hurried across the clearing to the den where the Nightclan's leader slept.
'Turtlestar! Can I come in?' Swiftstream whispered. She heard response and dissapeared into the den.
'What is so neccessary in the middle of the night?' Turtlestar mewed, her eyes half opened.
'Bloodclan has been spying on us!' Swiftstream hissed. Turtlestar flinched, her eyes wide open.
'I was just there with Nightwind. Their scent was all over the bushes near the entrance. They must have heard Nightwind and backed away.' Swiftstream went on.
'Come. We have to wake the clan. Tell Nightwing to wake all the warriors, you go and wake the queens and apprentices. I'll wake Greenleaf, Hollypaw and the elders. Whe have to prepare!' Turtlestar commanded. Swiftstream ran into the warriors den.
'Nightwind!' She hissed. 'Wake all the warriors. Now!' Without waiting for the questions, she ran into the apprentices' den.
'Palepaw! Rainpaw! Emergency! Wake up!' She called into the den. Soon the two black-and-white she-cats appeared outside.
'What's wrong, Swiftstream?' Palepaw asked.
'Bloodclan has been spying. Me and Nightwind picked up their scent near the entrance. Turtlestar wants every cat awake.' Swiftstream mewed. 'Help me wake the queens and kits. We will have to hide them.'
They ran into the nursery.
'Brindlepelt! Whitebelly! Wake up!' Rainpaw called in the nursery.
'What's all this about?' Whitebelly mewed.
'Bloodclan has been spying! There is an emergency.' Palepaw meowed.
'What?!' Whitebelly's eyes widened with fear. 'Wake up, Brindlepelt.' She nudged the second queen.
'What?' Brindlepelt opened her eyes.
'Bloodclan was spying. We have to wake your kits.' Whitebelly gently nudged one of Brindlepelt's kits. 'Wake up little one.'
The little grey kit squeaked. 'Wake up Mistykit.' Whitebelly nudged the little kit again. Brindlepelt nudged the two other.'Wake up my little sweeties.' She licked a little sandy-brown kit. 'Come Trushkit.' Palepaw nudged the last, very pale gray, almost white kit. 'Wake up Lapiskit.'
---
The five cats walked into the clearing. Whitebelly carried Mistykit, Brindlepelt Trushkit, and Swiftstream carried Lapiskit. Turtlestar emerged from the elders' den, gently leading Blossomcloud, Otterclaw and Snowfall behind her. 'Good. Greenleaf and Hollypaw are awake already, let's find a good shelter for the elders and queens with kits.' Turtlestar lead the way toward her den. The Tallrock was surrounded by a stone wall. Behind Turtlestar's den was a gap large enough for a cats to get through. 'Behind the gap is a cave. You can use it as a hiding place.' Turtlestar mewed, leading Blossomcloud inside, the other cats followed. 'Talontail, Longclaw, guard the elders, queens and kits!' Turtlestar called when Swiftstream, Palepaw, and Rainpaw came out. The two warriors dipped their heads and sqeezed through the gap.
As the four cats apprached the clearing, warriors began to crowd around Turtlestar, who started to give orders. 'Silvercloud, Thistlepelt, Specklecloud and Breezetail, guard the entrance. Call if you can smell Bloodclan. Briarpelt, Sandstripe, Ravenfeather, Nightwind, Willowfur and Littlefoot, guard the camp. Woolentail, Snowclaw, Morningpelt, Rainpaw and Palepaw, make sure the medicine den is guarded. If there are too many warriors, guard the camp with the others. Swiftstream, Stormpool and Lionpelt will fight with me.'
'But Turtlestar, you have only two lives left!' Swiftstream cried out.
'I am not afraid of death, Swiftstream. I don't have to be when I know that my clan is guarded well. Besides, the clan is more important then me.' Turtlestar rested her muzzle on Swiftstream's head.
'Okay. But we will also guard you.' Swiftstream turned to Lionpelt and Stormpool, and smiled as they dipped their heads in agreement.
'Very well-' Turtlestar's words were cut when a screech came from outside the camp.
'BLOODCLAN!' Breezetail screeched with Thistlepelt at her heels. In a moment, stench of blood filled the clearing, and Silvercloud and Specklecloud ran into the camp, their scratches bleeding. Turtlestar leaped on the Tallrock and waited with her warriors surrounded around it, except for Swiftstream, Stormpool and Lionpelt, who were guarding her. The Bloodclan cats filled the clearing, tearing the gorse barrier. Clawstar appreared with Sunblaze and Blue-eye at his sides. Turtlestar narrowed her eyes. Swiftstream looked at Sunblaze, but found nothing but hostility in his eyes. He.. betrayed me..
Her thoughts were cut with Turtlestar's screech. 'Nightclan, attack!'
---
Cats launched at each other, bitting and raking pelts of their oponents. Swiftstream leaped at
Ivyclaw, tearing fur on her flank. Ivyclaw pinned Swiftstream to the ground, trying to bit her throat. Swiftstream turned and kicked Ivyclaw off. She landed on her shoulder, making her screech. She stood up, staring at Swiftstream. But it wasn't anger, but fear. 'Not every cat wants this, Swiftstream.' Ivyclaw mewed, then turned and limped away. What? Surely even Clawstar wouldn't risk the lives of his warriors in unneccessary battle?
---
'This time, I'll rip you apart!' Swiftstream spun around as she heard a yowl from behind her. Fallowfire hit her, throwing her away. Swiftstream shrieked in pain, but managed to stand up and bit Fallowfire to her throat. Fallowfire yowled and tried to release herself. Swiftstream pinned her to the ground, opening her jaws. 'I am not a killer, Fallowfire. But put one paw on out border again, and I'll rip you to shreds!' Swiftstream growled and released Fallowfire. She turned her tail and fled.
---
Turtlestar's voice rang as she launched into the battle. But many warriors were injured. We are loosing! Turtlestar started to look for Swiftstream. When she spotted her, she ran through the crowd of fighting cats. 'Swiftstream! We are loosing! There are too many of them!' Turtlestar called.
'I'll fetch Fireclan! I'm the fastest cat. I'll be back with help soon!' Swiftstream murmured, running into the bushes.
---
Swiftstream ran among the trees in the direction of Fireclan's camp. She knew it well, Fireclan and Nightclan always had open boundaries in case of trouble and need. She crossed the border marker and headed to the camp. As she approached it, she slowed her pace. Come on! My clan needs me! She launched herself through the fern tunnel into the Fireclan's camp. Cats stared at her with bristling pelts. 'Robinstar!' Swiftstream screeched as she saw the leader of Fireclan.
'What's happening?!' Robinstar approached her with fear in his eyes.
'Bloodclan! There are too many of them! Please help us!' Swiftstream cried out, panting hard. She saw Nightstorm and Minnowtail approach her, and as they stood, their tail were lashing.
'Fireclan! We are heading to help Nightclan!' Robinstar commanded which cat had to stay and which was going. Please, quickly! Swiftstream's worries rose as she paced on the clearing. Robinstar lashed his tail when Swiftstream joined the patrol. 'Fireclan, let's rip those crow-food eaters apart! Swiftstream, lead the way. And fast.'
---
Shrieks of terror rang from the Nightclan's camp when the patrol arrived. Robinstar yowled and the Fireclan warriors and apprentices launched themselves in the battle. Swiftstream looked around. 'Turtlestar!' She cried out when she saw a limp body laying on the ground, Clawstar above her. She felt anger rise in her, burning like fire. She leaped the Clawstar with a furious yowl, raking her claws and bitting him. Clawstar leaped spinning in the air, bit her in the scruff and threw her to the ground. She fought furiously, raking her claws on his soft belly. Blood was oozing from the gash she opened with her claws, making Clawstar weaker and weaker. 'I won't loose a life without you!' He yowled and tried to bit her throat. She raked her claws on his belly once more and Clawstar lost the hold of her. Swiftstream bit his throat. Blood started to drip from his jaws. Clawstar landed on his side and went limp.
---
'Turtlestar! Turtlestar, wake up!' Swiftstream cried. Woolentail and Lionpelt saw them and ran across the clearing. Woolentail burried her nose into Turtlestar's fur, nudging her to stand up. 'Please sister. Wake up!' She cried out. Lionpelt sat beside Swiftstream, his pelt brushing hers. She was burried in Turtlestar's fur, crying. Suddenly, Turtlestar couched, lightly opening her eyes. 'S-Swiftstream? Woolentail? Lionpelt?' She looked at the three warriors and purred. 'Take care of our clan, Woolentail.' She turned to her sister. 'No.. No! You are still strong enough! Come on! Stand up sister!' Woolentail cried. 'No.. Clawstar's very strong, despite his old age.' Turtlestar murmured, staring to distance as if she saw a cat. Then she smiled. 'Woolentail, promise me one thing. Make my daughter a deputy. She will save us.' Swiftstream's eyes widened. But Turtlestar's suddenly darkened. 'We will meet sooner than you think, sister.' She licked Woolentail's shoulder, turning to Lionpelt. 'Take care of my daughter, Lionpelt.'
'I will, Turtlestar. I promise.' Lionpelt murmured, pressing his muzzle on her head.
'Remember Swiftstream. You can't live with a paw in two clans. Rejection is painful but brings light.' Turtlestar licked Swiftstream's ears and laid down. Her shallow breath stopped. She was dead.
Swiftstream burried her nose to her fur. Lionpelt put his tail around her, licking her ear. 'It's gonna be okay.' He murmured. Swiftstream lifted her head, her flooded eyes looking straight into Lionpelt's. 'But, I want her back!' She cried out, pressing against him. She burried herself in his long, soft fur and he pressed his head on hers.
---
Fireclan cats fought furiously, but Stormpool could see some limp bodies laying on the ground. Among them, he recognised Trushclaw, deputy of Fireclan, Fernfur and Ashheart of Bloodclan, Deerleg of Fireclan and Turtlestar. When he saw his former leader, his heart sank. She was a noble and kind-hearted leader. He saw Bloodclan fled with Clawstar leading them. He spun around when he heard Hollypaw's shriek. 'Greenleaf is dead!'
---
Swiftstream turned when she heard Hollypaw. First Turtlestar and now Greenleaf? Who would kill a medicine cat?! She saw two starry cats next to her. Turtlestar and Greenleaf! She looked closely. Who did this to you, Greenleaf? Swiftstream mewed to the starry cat. Greenleaf looked at Turtlestar, and as she nodded, Greenleaf approached Swiftstream. Beware the dark one. Allies can cause the biggest harm for the three clans. Beware the DARK ONE! Greenleaf meowed, and she and Turtlestar dissapeared.
Beware the dark one... Whoever did this, he will pay!
---