Chapter 10

Moonlight glittered into the apprentices' den as Stormpaw woke. He stretched, curling his tail. He couldn't sleep since Swiftpaw told him about the Mirror stream and her second life. He made himself lay back, curling in a tight ball, he fell asleep.
---
Rushing of the ferns woke Stormpaw again. Has somebody gone out? He turned to look in the nest next to his, but he found it empty. Where's Swiftpaw? He went through the entrance of the den and looked up into the sky. It was just midnight, why would Swiftpaw go out? He looked around the clearing, but he couldn't find her. As he made his way through the clearing, he spotted Talontail on guard at the entrance to the camp. He went toward him.
---
'Where are you going Stormpaw?' Talontail meowed to the reddish-brown apprentice approaching him.
'Greetings Talontail.' Stormpaw mewed,'Haven't you seen Swiftpaw? She is missing.'
'Yes, she told me she is going for a walk. Are you worried about her?' Talontail teased him.
'Well of course I am! She's my friend!' Stormpaw hissed, his fur bristling. He went through the gorse tunnel, ignoring the brown and white tabby tom.
---
Stormpaw soon found Swiftpaw's sent and went after it. The scent was leading toward the Bloodclan border. Stormpaw's neck fur rised as memory covered his mind. She must be with him! He thought and ran toward the border.
---
By the time he reached the border, Swiftpaw's scent was mixed with a second cat's. Stormpaw was eager to know everything. Soon the bracken in front of him moved and two cats went out of it, tails twined. Swiftpaw and Sunpaw!
---
'I knew it!' Stormpaw launched at Sunpaw from a bramble bush where he hid. 'What are you doing here, Sunpaw?!' He growled at the golden tabby tom.
'Stormpaw no! Don't hurt him!' Swiftpaw wailed.
'And you?' Stormpaw turned to Swiftpaw, leaving Sunpaw to stand up again.
'I-I came to meet with him..' she mewed quietly.
'How could you?! You're just apprentices! And he's from Bloodclan!' Stormpaw wailed, not letting his anger take over.
'I'm sorry. I couldn't tell you.. You won't be pleased anyways.' Swiftpaw mewed sadly.
'I'm sorry too, Stormpaw. It was my idea, but you must understand-' Sunpaw meowed but was cut off.
'Understand what? Swiftpaw, come back.. please. You are my friend.' Stormpaw felt sad now. The pleased Swiftpaw to come back to camp, soon will be dawn.
'Okay. Bye, Sunpaw.' Swiftpaw mewed her good-bye, touching noses with Sunpaw and joined Stormpaw on their way back.
---
'You love him, don't you?' Stormpaw meowed to Swiftpaw as they approached the Dead Oak. He wanted to help his friend.
'Yes..' Swiftpaw mewed quietly, fixing her gaze with Stormpaw's. 'He asked me to meet tonight and I couldn't say no.. he saved my life. Since then, I thought about him this way.' She wanted to ask Stormoaw but he already answered.
'No, I won't tell anyone. But sooner or later they'll find out. Tell at least Turtlestar. She'll understand how you feel. She felt the same about Fallowwhisker.'
Swiftpaw couldn't believe her friend got so noble and wise since he was named an apprentice. One day he will make a great warrior.
---