23. 'THE' Chapter.

Arnav’s POV

“Yes, yes!” Satakshi squealed in a childlike voice, and jumped off from her seat, pulling me out of the pub with her. I had suggested on going to the beach since I had to execute the idea I had in mind, and Satakshi had readily agreed. I know I sounds insane going to a beach at around midnight, but I had to do it, and I can’t afford to waste time at all.

I am driving, get in,” I said as we reached the parking lot and held the passenger’s side door of my car open for her to get in. She was totally wasted, despite my efforts to stop her from drinking and I couldn’t possibly let her drive her own car in this state. Without protesting much, she got seated.

“I’ll be back after making a call. Wait here, don’t go anywhere,” I instructed her before walking away to a distance, and dialling a familiar number on my phone.

One. Two. Three. Fou—

“Did you ask her out? Virat asked straightaway, answering the call on the fourth ring.

“Yeah. She rejected me,” I lied, “Virat can you please meet me? I’m completely shaken and I need you—your moral support.” I tried to sound as depressing and sad as I could, which surprisingly wasn’t that difficult.

“WHAT?” This was his immediate reaction. But he almost instantaneously added, “Okay uh…Where are you?” He seemed to be genuinely concerned for me. I was a good actor I suppose.

“I am headed to Juhu Beach right now,” I said.

“Okay. Be there in ten.”

“Thanks yaar(buddy).” No one else would have sacrificed so much for anyone. “Anyways, see you,” I said and hung up.

He really deserved some sort of award for his sacrifice for me. Not only had he sacrificed his love for me, but had also tried his level best to bring Satakshi and me together. I don’t think I even deserve his friendship. He has always been the perfect best friend I could ever ask for, and I on the other hand, couldn’t even gauge his true inner feelings. With thoughts as these, I got into the car and drove away to the beach.

***

We stood on the sea shore, and Satakshi got lost admiring nature’s beauty. What was there to admire, I couldn’t say. There was a lot of garbage dumped here and there on the beach, and this sure as hell didn’t fascinate me. Satakshi, however, seemed to think otherwise.

I started to think of a plan to leave the place before Virat came, and suddenly, an idea struck me.

“Satakshi, I think I’ve left my phone in the car. I’ll get it. You stay right here and don’t go anywhere, okay?” I told to Satakshi. It was a risk leaving her alone here like this, but I expected Virat to be here in some time and he could control her.

She seemed so lost in her thoughts that she didn’t even reply, and I thought it best not to disturb her. After some time, she replied dreamily,