19. A Misconception.

Arnav’s POV

“Sir?” A voice made me look up from my laptop screen. It was my maid, standing near the door of my room.

“Yes?” I asked. What could be the matter so late at night?

“A lady has come to meet you,” she said. A lady? This late? I didn’t even hear the door bell ring!

“Okay I’m coming, get her seated,” I said. She nodded in response and left. Puzzled about who it could be, I put on my slippers and walked out of my room and down the stairs.

Once my eyes fell on the ‘lady’ waiting for me in my living room, I stopped, surprised  at the sight. What was she doing here in my house, at—I looked at the clock—midnight?

Satakshi?” I asked, completely baffled, as I approached the sofa where she was seated. She at once stood up, and screamed,

“HAPPY BIRTHDAY!” With that she engulfed me in her arms, giving me a bone-crushing hug, almost suffocating me. Her touch made my stomach go flip-flop. A chill ran down my spine as I hugged her back, the pleasant smell of her cologne flooding my nostrils. Happy—that’s what I was feeling. I was extremely delighted by her very presence. I’d never expected her to remember my birthday, let alone come and wish me at 12 o’clock. It was a complete shocker—but a good one, of course.

“Thank you so much Satakshi!” I said earnestly, once I was out of the hug. “’You really surprised me!”

She started laughing  at this statement of mine. She had such an adorable laugh!

“I’m glad I could surprise you! I was absolutely thinking you would have guessed it!”

“Noooo! It was completely unexpected!”

“Aren’t we close enough for you to expect a wish from me at midnight?”

“Of course we are! It’s just that I—“

“Okay fine, whatevs. Now come and cut the cake—I’ve baked it with so much difficulty!”

“You baked a cake for me?” I was beyond words.

“Of course, idiot! Now come and cut it!” She said, tugging at my arm, and led me to the table. Sure enough, there was a box on the table. Satakshi lifted the lid to reveal a pure chocolate, heart shaped which made my mouth water. On the cake, in vanilla icing were written the words ‘HAPPIE B’DAY ARNAV :)’ in a fine handwriting.

“This looks so yum! It better be good!” I said.

“Of course it will be! Do you doubt my cooking skills?” She said, tilting her head to a side.

“No re! You have baked your heart for me, I’m sure it would be delicious!” I said and chuckled lightly, referring to the heart shape of the cake.

Arre I didn’t have any other cake moulds!” She explained. Oh, too bad. I’d thought she had made a heart shaped cake on purpose. But of course, I’m not that lucky. I don’t think she has the same feelings for me as I have for her.

“Oh kay!” I said, hiding my disappointment and took the knife which she held out to me. I bought my hand down to cut the cake, when Satakshi shrieked,

“NOOO WAIT!”

“What happened?”

“Let me set up the candles on it first!” She said, and started taking out the candles from a packet lying on the table. Once the candles were fixed on the cake and illuminated, she instructed me to go on. I blew the candles, and once I started cutting the cake, Satakshi started clapping and singing the ‘Happy Birthday’ song. These childlike actions of her made me fall for her all over again.