14. World torn apart...

*The next day, Vinnie's party*

Satakshi’s POV

“Hey and do you remember about that day when...” and Virat went on to narrate yet another of his childhood experiences. What am I doing in the middle of these childhood buddies? I asked myself for the nth time now. I was in this party thrown by Vinnie now, sitting at a table with Virat, Arnav and Vinnie, with several other people (Vinnie’s friends) who were busy doing something or the other. I had to come because Vinnie forced me, backed by Virat. And now I’m stuck here in the middle of them feeling somehow like I don’t...belong. Virat had promised he’d entertain me but seems like he has totally forgotten about it.

“Uhm, excuse me guys... I’d just go grab a drink,” I said, already getting up. I was walking towards the drinks counter when I suddenly heard someone call,

“Hey, Satakshi, wait...” I instantly turned my head to see Arnav approaching me.

“So I’m guessing you got bored with our gossip, right?” He asked and walked beside me as I started walking.  Oh so he finally realized!

“Oh thank you for realizing this soooo soon!” I said, with an edge of sarcasm in my voice. He just chuckled and kept walking.

“A coke please,” I said as I reached the counter. “Do you want something?” I asked, turning towards Arnav.

“Just water,” Arnav said. After getting our drinks, we took a seat near the counter.

“Cute couple right?” Arnav said, sipping some water.

“Huh?” I asked, totally puzzled.

“I mean Virat and Vinnie...” He replied with a faraway look in his eyes.

Cute couple? No, I don’t think so. But of course I won’t say that out loud.

“But they aren’t a couple na...” I said dreamily, looking at the table where Vee and Vinnie were seated. The two of them giggling and chattering away.

“Yeah, but they do have a history together... Besides, who knows how things may turn out between them?”

“What do you mean they have history together? It was just a rumour spread by the media right? Raina told me they had never really dated?”

“Oh yeah, that’s correct. They never have dated, but Virat did have feelings for her.”

What! Now that’s a new discovery. Virat never told me he had had feelings for his best friend once upon a time. Wait—does he still have those feelings for her? Anyways, how’s it going to matter me? He can have feelings for anyone right?

“Really? Virat never told me... Well, so if Virat had feelings for her, then why aren’t they together now? Don’t tell me she rejected him!” I said, speaking out my thoughts.

“No...Virat never asked her out.”

“Oh. Why didn’t he?!”

“Cause he saw her turn down another guy saying that she wanted to focus on her career... So Virat didn’t want to take the chance as he assumed she’d turn him down too and that would also affect their life-long friendship which he said he didn’t want to lose.”

“Oh... So he still has feelings for her?”

“I don’t really know... He seems so happy and cheerful when he’s around her... I couldn’t really tell.”

“Hmm...” was all I managed to say as I looked back at Virat’s table, only to find his gaze fixed on me. It looked like he had been staring at me for quite some time. As soon as he saw me, he gave me a cute smile and looked down. Soon, he turned around to face Vinnie, who was apparently saying something to him.