Girls, Girls, Girls

Chapter 4: Girls, Girls, Girls

I slowly opened my eyes when a bright light blazed into them, forcing me to close them again. I placed my hand over my face and attempted to open my eyes once again. The room light was on. Jeez You'd think that I was sleeping outside in the sun. I sat up slowly and passed my hand through my hair, moving it from in front of my face. "Morning!" I jumped a little and my head snapped to the other side of the room where the voice came from. " Jesus you scared me " I took a deep breath. " I'm sorry " she giggled. She was sat on the other bed. Legs crossed with a text book on her lap and a highlighter in her hand. She was thin , with brown hair that stopped at her shoulders her skin pale and eyes blue. " and sorry about the light. need it to study" she held her book up then placed it back down " no it's fine. " I rubbed the side of my head, feeling a small headache coming in. " I'm Amy by the way and you are..." "Sarah " I responded back. " well nice to meet you Sarah" she closed the text book and placed it next to her with the highlighter. " same to you." I grabbed my bag from the floor and pulled it up to the bed. " I was excited to hear that I was getting a new roommate, gives me a chance to make a friend " I nodded and unzipped my bag. " your not much of a talker i see" no you just talk way to much. I'm not a rude person but I'm not going to play make new friends and be all jolly as if my life isn't falling apart. I'm sorry but I'm just not in the mood and I won't be for awhile. I wasn't raised by my parents to be disrespectful tho so I'll try talking to her. " I'm sorry just tired still. " I lied. " It's fine. Completely understandable. we'll talk some more after dinner" Oh Great. she stood up from the bed. " Come on " I looked up at her. " dinners now? " I asked . " yea. Everyone else should be downstairs already." I mouthed ok and stood up. I followed her downstairs.

At the table sat three Girls. I crossed my arms and followed Amy to the seats, I sat down and scooted my seat up Feeling all eyes snap on me. Mrs. Jefferson came in holding a pan and she sat it on the table. She stumbled off to the kitchen again, not noticing me. " she usually likes to cook for us, or sometimes she'll get one or two of us to help" smiled Amy. " She likes us to feel at home, before this some of us never had normal dinners you know. So it's nice" she continued. Her eyes traveled down to her lap. Just from how her expression just changed, I could tell that there was a lot more to her then just this hyper, friendly girl. You learn to pick up small things from people, if you actually pay attention to every detail when they talk. I sat up in my seat. " look who decided to join the rest of the group" my attention snapped to one of the girls sitting on the other side of the table. I followed her gaze and there stood walking to the table was a girl. Tall, with a curly boycut, her hair pitch black, with a hint of blue in it. Her skin Color Almost chestnut, her lips full and her eyes brown. Her attire was boyish. Long sleeve shirt, rolled up at the sleeves and skinny jeans that were low enough to show that she had on briefs. My eyes traveled back up and they met hers. She was looking back at me as she slowly approached the seat at the end of the table, She turned her attention to the girl that called out earlier and they started to talk. " Okay so dinners ready but before we eat, I'd like to introduce Sarah " she pointed at me. Oh no. " stand up sarah and tell us just some common facts about yourself " I should just run. Push the chicken off the table to distract them and run. I'll just get it over and done with. Tell them my age, repeat my name and sit back down. I scoot my chair back a bit and I stand up. My eyes travel down to my fingers to avoid looking at anyone else " well uh, I..I'm no good at introductions" I stutter. I get anxious when I'm the center of attention. When there's multiple people staring at me, like I'm some kind of creature. " it's okay Sarah, take your time" smiles mrs.jefferson. I swallow the lump in my throat and I continue. " I'm seventeen and a junior in high school. I come from an Hispanic heritage" I sigh. " my father was born here so he's fully Caucasian, but my moms puertorican... well was" my mother would tell me stories all the time of how it was for her growing up over there. She moved over here when she was thirteen with my grandma and never went back. She loved it over there. She'd tell me how beautiful it was and how she'd one day take me. Guess that won't be happening... The emotions started to once again hit me. I didn't want to continue. " uh.. yea.. tha-that's about it" I pressed my lips together and sat back down. My eyes not once looking up. Didn't want to see anyone's face expression and I definitely don't want anyone to see the tears building up in my ears."thank you for sharing with us Sarah" I started to hear the clacking of utensils and I looked back up. Everyone was starting to dig in and serve themselves. Just like that. No one pitied me or asked questions. They just started to eat. I turned my head a bit to meet the same brown eyes from earlier. She was looking at me. I wanted to look Away but I couldn't. It was as if I was stuck. once she saw that I was staring back she gave me a small smile and looked away. Conversation started in the table. Not one conversation but multiple.