Chapter 20

"Kiss me or else." His warm breath spoke into my ear; large cold hands covering my eyes. I tried to play along, but started to smile. I took Josh's hands from my face intertwining my fingers with his as I turned around to look into his deep sea green eyes. "Oh so demanding," I said as I leaned into his suducive lips. We stood in the cold night air outside of the studio. He pulled away and said flatly, "You've been drinking." This caught me off gaurd. "Um... yeah, I have."

"Are you drunk?" he asked taking his hands back from mine. "I don't know. Taryn kept ordering rounds and it made me throw up."

"And... you drove here...by yourself" he said slowly; tilting his head slightly. It was somewhat of a question. "Yes," I said noddding my head. He sighed and rubbed his eyes, like he was tired. "Josh, I'm fine."

"I know but it just worries me when you do reckless stuff like that." I took his hand in mine again, as we sat down on a bench close to the front door. "I know." We were both silent for a moment. I suddenly kissed him again and Josh looked at me. I started to smile as I said it, "Come on lets go somewhere." He smiled back at me, "Okay." I gave him one finally kiss before stealing his keys and running to the car... which I ran into.

I started to laugh and held my elbow. "Ow," I stammered through the giggles. Josh started towards me from the bench; smiling and shaking his head towards the ground. "You've obviously had enough for one night," he stated taking the keys from my hand. I promptly stuck my tounge out at him and marched to the other side of the car.

We wound up at Brett's beach house. Apparently he had to go to some sort of Family Reunion and couldn't make the Bachelor Party, which left us with the house. "How are we supposed to get in?" I asked rubbing my cold forearms. Josh surveyed the sandy front porch. "Brett's not the smartest guy," he replied pulling a shiny gold key from under the place matt by the front door. I laughed a little as he unlocked the door letting a surprisingly chilly breeze rush onto us as we entered. "Brett kept the AC on?" I asked.

"Like I said, he's not very smart."

"Mmh," I hummed and nodded my head while I walked over to search the contence of his fridge. "What are you looking for?" Josh asked. "Aha!" I answered pulling a bottle of wine from the it. I grinned at Josh who started to make his way over to me. His teeth were slightly cleanched in a unsure manner. "I don't know..." I sighed letting my hands drop to my sides.

"Why not?"

"You've already had a little too much as it is," he remarked taking the wine from my hands. I shot him a half smile complete with puppy dog eyes. Josh sighed,"Okay fine." He shook his head and rolled his eyes. "Yay!" I started towards the kitchen, kissing Josh's cheek as I went. Then I opened one drawer and happily picked out a corckscrew. He took it from me cockily with a smirk spread across his face.

I started to laugh as Josh plunged the twisted steal into the cork. "Come on Mr.Tough guy," I playfully chanted."Your making me nervous," Josh answered flatly. I bit my bottom lip and there was a moment of silence as Josh firmly placed his hand around the handle of the corkscrew. I kept one hand over my mouth to prevent myself from giggling at the silence, when all of the sudden Josh starts uncontrollably laughing. "What?" I asked through my own laughter.

He held up his index finger indicating me to wait. His face was bright red and a smile was plastered across it. "I don't even know." he gave him a 'really?' kind of look. "You put pressure on me!" he protested. I rolled my eyes and took the bottle from his hands.

Then I neatly pulled out the cork using the handle of the screw. "There, was it that hard?"

"I lose my strength when somebody makes me laugh," he explained in a matter-of-factly voice. "Mmm, that explains it," I taughted sarcastically as I rumaged through Brett's cabinets for some glasses. "Sure does," Josh said as I truned to face him. He had two wine glasses in his hands, and gestured for me to take one so I gladfully did, and began to fill it. I started towards the living room when Josh stopped me. "Wait," he said a little frantically, taking my hand. I gave him a questionable look. "I want to do something first."

He pressed his lips together in a sort of pleading motion. I let a smile escape my lips. "Okay."

"Just stay in here, it'll only be a minute... No peeking" he instructed. I turned to face the kitchen counter with a sigh. "So... how many days?" Josh asked from somewhere on the far side of the living room. "Well," I quickly checked Brett's clock hanging on the wall above me, "it just turned midnight, so, about two days." As I finished my sentence a orange light illuminated the white walls around me. "Josh?" I asked.

"Hold on!" he called back from even further away. The sound of a squeaking door startled me and I began to think I was left alone. After moments of silence there came the click of a handle locking in place, which in turn reassured me Josh was near again. His familiar foot stride worked its way towards me. Josh placed two cold hands over my eyes. I was slowly led into a carpeted area I believed to be the living room. My drink left behind on the kitchen counter. "Can I open my eyes now?" I asked somewhat impatiently.

"What's the magic word?" he spoke into my ear. "Please?" I sighed. Just then I could feel his fingers pulling back from my face. A fire flickered inside the brick structure of the wall, and three blankets lay ontop of each other on the floor infront of it. I looked back at Josh flashing a smile, and kissed his cheek. "Feeling any warmer?" he asked.

"Hhhmmm," I hummed trying to make up my mind and pressing my lips together. "Not quite," I decided grabbing the wine bottle; biting my lip; and huddling under the covers. Josh let out his innocent little laugh and joined me under a layer of blankets."What happened to our glasses?" he asked. "Who needs a wine glass when you've got the entire bottle in your hands?" He tipped his head slightly sideways and shrugged his shoulders. I took a sip and slipping off my socks.

I pressed my lips to his and he unexpectedly pulled away. "What's wrong?" I asked with a conceren look on my face. "Nothing," he said wiping away a tear. "Joshua, don't lie to me," I whispered shaking my head. Tears filled my eyes at the thought that he wanted to cancel the wedding just two days before. I guess my eyes must have been pretty puffy at this point because Josh rushed to get the words out.

"Brooklyn, calm down it's okay. Just let me explain, it has nothing to do with you!" I tried to wipe away the stubborn tears, but they only reflooded my eyes. "Then, wh-at's... going on?" I managed to choke out."It's just that you're the first person to except me for my former bulimic body... Darla and I broke up soon after she found out, and I was scared that no other girl would ever except me again..." he wiped away another tear and sputtered a breath.

"...But then you came along, and it was all so easy. Like my imperfections didn't even cross your mind. I just feel as if I can be completely open with you, at all times, and you'll take me for who I am-" There was more I'm sure but the waterfall coming from his eyes had cut him short. I just laid there on my side facing Josh as the fire flickered uneven shadows onto his face. I was wordless, breathless, completely captivated by his words. "Stop," I finally uttered still in shock. I collected his face in my hands, I wiped the tears away with my thumbs as I continued, "I love you," I whispered firmly. "I- l-ove you too."

"The do me this one favor." Josh waited in silence our foreheads pressed together; eyes intencely focused on each other. "Kiss me." And so he did, tear streaked face and swelling eyes, but we feel into the night together non the less.