Chapter 6

I woke up groggy and confused. It took me a minute to remember that Josh had stayed over. I slowly rose from the couch and walked into the kitchen. "Josh?"

"Good morning!" he said giving me a kiss. He set two plates with pancakes on the dinning room table."What's all this?" I asked. "Breakfast, you hungry?"

"Thank you but I normally don't eat breakfast." Josh gave me a worried look. "You don't?" I know Josh had Bulimia and maybe I scared him and he thought I may have similar circumstances. "No, I usually don't have time for it before work, and It's so early that I'm not hungry."

"Oh, well should we save it for brunch then?" he suggested.

I smiled at him. "Yeah,sure."

"Come on!" He took me by the wrist and pulled me out the front door. "Where are we going?" I said as we hurried down the stairwell. "That's the fun part. Its a surprise!" He shoved open the downstairs door to my building and we headed towards the SUV. We drove only about ten minutes untill we reached Acadia.  We parked at what was 1712 Acadia Road.  

The only reminder of this ever being a house was an old, rusted over mail box. "Wow," I said as we got out. "I come here sometimes for inspiration," he explained. Where the house used to be was a vast garden full of colorful flowers. "For some reason I've never used an environment for inspiration." 

"Really? You know," he sat down on a stone bench facing sideways to the garden, "I wrote Acadia right here." I sat down next to him. "Weird how a view can generate so much thought and meaning." I said gazing over the flowers. Josh laughed at me. "What?!" He looked at me, "See that's exactly what I'm talking about! You view things so much differently than everyone else does. But your modest and take no credit for your ability what so ever." 

"I-" But I had no real comeback to that I was totally stuck, he got me. "I rest my case," is all he said smiling widely. I gave him a small shove. "Maybe I'm just a weirdo!" I said playfully. "Oh right your crazy, why haven't they put you in a mental istitute yet? I mean sneaking backstage, stage crashing? Your outta control." he said sarcastically rolling his eyes.

"Yep Ima dangerous one!" I said pushing him off the bench. He cracked up laughing and so did I. I extended my hand to him. He grabbed hold of me then said, "So am I!" next thing I knew I was on the ground next to him. We laughed some more then I rested my head on his chest. I could hear his heart beating beautifully and rythmically.

 I brought my head up and starred into his eyes, as Josh pushed my hair back. He kissed me sofly and slowly and I savored every last bit. I stopped after a while and he smiled looking up at me. I bit my lip and smiled back. "What is it?" he asked.

"Com'on, I'm driving," I grabbed the keys I've been slowly draging out of his jacket pocket and ran to the SUV. He got up and ran towards me. "Where are we going?" I unlocked the car and got in the driver's side. and Josh went to the passengers. "You'll see," I taunted him as I cranked the engine. "Man...I hate not knowing things, please tell me?" 

"Nope it's a surpirse."

"Surpirises are no fun!" He protested. "I think you'll live," I sarcastically reasured him. We drove for about ten more minutes as he kept guessing where we were going. "...Mall?" I laughed at him "Try again." He sighed and threw his head back, then looked over at me. "...Park?" I shook my head trying not to laugh.

"Please just tell me already, I can't stand it!" I looked at him and said slowly,"The place we're going is somewere you've never been before." 

"That doesn't help," He mumbled to himself.  "It's also right infront of you," I said as I parked the car. Josh looked around at the scenery as we got out. Thousands of trees, and leaves everywere. "Brooklyn, I've been to the woods." I didn't say anything just got out of the car. He followed me to the tree which branches I was pulling back. He walked towards me slowly.

Josh looked into the wooded area. There were shade-covered lights hanging from multipul trees' branches and in a huge tree was placed a perfectly built tree house. "Wow...how'd you know about this place?" I smiled at him loving how amazed he was by it all. "My dad built it for me when I was little, and I added the lights a couple years ago." My face turned serious. "After he died, I wanted something to look at when I came here to remind me of him; it turned into this."

Josh looked at me drawing a blank; unable to think of something to say. Instead he just embraced me. I don't think he's ever really dealt with a family death. "Josh," I said sofly, "It's okay." He pulled away sliding his hands from my sides up to my shoulders.  "Are you sure?"

"Yeah," I said, nodding my head. "It was a long time ago."He reached for my hand. "Well it's beautiful, the entire place." I smiled and answered him with a small kiss as we headed for the base of the large center tree holding the house. I climbed up the wodden planks nailed into the bark untill we reached the top. I pulled a tiny gold key out of my pocket and unlocked the small door. "Welcome home," I said. throwing my jacket onto a small rocking chair. It was farily dusty and I guess that's why Josh asked,"How long has it been since you've been here?"

"A year or two maybe," I lied. I hid here many nights when things got dangerous with Tyler. That had only been about three months ago when I was still dating him. "Wow, I wonder what kinda cool stuff you have up here, from when you were a kid." He moved towards the desk infront of us. I remembered the pictures of my dad and me, and I couldn't bare to have to look at them, so I quickely moved infront of him. He was about to open the desk drawer containing almost all of them. "There's nothing really in that." He raised his eyebrows at me.

"Brooklyn?"  I bit my lip and closed my eyes, then slipped out of the way. He opened it and picked up three framed pictures. I busied myself doing my best to face away from them. "Wow," he whispered. "What?" I walked over to him and faced the pictures head on. Not a good idea.

"You look so happy with him, and you were a pretty little girl." I smiled. "Where are you right here?" he asked."Myrtle Beach." He flipped to the next one. I was around three when it was taken, I was wearing a spaghetti-strap tank-top and had popcicle stained across my lips. My dad sat next to me in shades and smiled widely.

"When was that?" he asked curiously. I could feel a lump in my throat knowing if I spoke I'd most likely burst out crying. "That uh-" I swallowed. "Fourth of July weekend," I rushed out. I could feel the tears warm on my face. "Hey, hey." He held me and whispered to me gentely.

"It's okay, it's only me." he patted my head as I wiped away my tears. "I-I know." I stuttered.  "So," he said bringing me out from his hug. He rest his hands on my shoulders and starred into my eyes."how long has it really been." I looked away and took a deep breath.

"He died last year in July." I said it as strongly as possible. I hung my head and wiped my sleeve across my face. Stop crying you idiot!!  "Brooklyn?" he asked me. "Yeah?" My mouth quivered with that one word.

"How do you do it?" I just looked at him questionably through my tears. "How do you deal with the ex, and your...lessining family." I started to cry harder but I didn't make a sound. I crumbled to the floor and covered my face.  I could hear his footsteps coming closer to me as he said; "And how can you do it while being such an amazingly bright, beautiful girl." He lifted my head from my chin and I starred into his eyes. He kissed me and I didn't hold back knowing that every word he said he meant.

The rest of the month Josh and I started to know each other better than we knew ourselves. At night we'd talk about the sad things in our lives, and during the day we'd only focus on each other and the happy things in our lives. And even the basic things. What food we liked, what movies we hated, what our favorite candy was,ect. And just as I thought my life may finally be coming together every last piece started to slowly fall apart.