Preface

I've hunted a few times in my life. Usually I was hunting people. I'm far from proud of the things I've done and I wish that they would keep me up at night but they don't. I console myself by saying that with each person I kill I save dozens more. In the end it boils down to one thing: killing is what I'm good at.

I could lie and say that I had a rough childhood but in truth I had an amazing childhood. I had the best parents in the world until they were murdered in atonement for another man's sins. I had a loving brother who hates me because he blames me for the death of our parents. I had a wonderful best friend who has keep her distance from me ever since I left home when I was sixteen.

I could blame it all on how my pack turned their backs on me and drove me away from my home. But that only led me to another pack where I found an amazing family. I found an older brother who cares for me and is ridiculously over protective of me. I found two sisters who mean the world to me. I found a man who knows ever ugly detail of my past and still looks at me like I worthy of his love.

Yet I chose the leave them all. I chose to leave everyone I care for and love behind. Again. Although unlike the first family I left, my childhood and blood family, my second one was not going to let me go like my first one had eight years prior. The man I found, my younger sister and one of the truest friends I will ever make came after me. They found me, a task that only the best of the best can accomplish if I don't want to be found.

I had a good reason for leaving this time, unlike when I was sixteen I wasn't running away because I was too weak to stay. No, this time I was fixing a mistake I had made, a mistake that cost people their lives. I was hunting a monster who goes by the name Adrian Peltier. It wasn't the first time I'd gone after him. I'd done it years ago but after six months I returned home and because I gave up people died.

That was the difference, between now and the last time I went after him. The first time I was lost in grief and hatred. I was going after him for revenge but this time I'm hunting him so I can stop the killing, stop the death. This time my hunt is not so vengeful.