Prologue

A/N: This story Definitely needs a bit of here and there so if I place [Edited] over a chapter, I've proofed read it and you shouldn't find any mistakes.

*edited

Prologue

When I look in the mirror what do I see?...

It wasn't a very hard question to answer.

"What I see..Jay..is an average height guy with mousy brown hair, a very plain facial structure and a guy with abnormal green eyes. Now that's - that's what I see".

Jay's pale blue eyes grew wide in shock and bewilderment."Ri, are you kidding me?."She shook her head frantically, her shiny blonde locks swaying side to side as if it was being spun by gold.

"Ri, you're like - stunning. Those eyes you call abnormal are beautiful and anyone would die for them. Your mousy brown hair always seems to look like you just finished having sex. Dude, no one can master that!" I couldn't help the warm blush that lightened my cheeks.

I highly doubted I was capable of having the 'after-sex' hair. I'd have to have sex before, which I haven't yet. I sighed wearily and raised my hand to stroke the rim of the beer that's been sitting untouched for almost fifteen minutes.

"Jay, you see things I don't. You asked me what I saw when I looked in the mirror and I answered truthfully."

I shifted my gaze back to Jay and almost regretted doing so."I know...I know your mom dying and the funeral...it all took a toll on you. But-" She scooted closer to me and the creak of the old futon couch echoed through the silence of the room. Raising her slender hands, she placed it on my cheeks and gave me a look of full and utter love. And it made me feel funny inside.

"Taking that apartment she left you in New York, might just do you some justice. Don't listen to the idiot inside your head telling you that you're not good enough for a change. You need to go and experience, you can't stay in this little old town forever working in a grocery store."

Her words caught me and I felt a whole bunch of emotions turmoiling through me, but the two that stood out was gratitude and fear. Jay kind of reminded me of my mom, always smiling bright and caring for everyone around. She's been my best friend since my freshman year of high school and losing her now seemed like I was taking a big step. Like when leaving for college, and the moment you have to say good-bye to your parents. You want to be a big boy and show you're strong enough but the idea of being alone in such a big city...it scared me. And it may sound immature but truth be told, I've never left my hometown or Jay.

I recognized the truth when I felt the warm tear stroll down my cheek, and Jay wiped it away with a small reassuring smile.

"Come on, Ri. I'll visit and plus you'll have a new roommate to occupy your time. I'll even make sure he's hot for you." She said and I couldn't help the chuckle that escaped my lips. It was like Jane to always try to cheer me up.

She grinned and dropped her hands, sending a wink at me.

"You sure you're okay here. I can always-". The blonde tresses swayed again as she shook her head.

"-No no no, I need to stay right here. I love my job and my the place I got." She pointed a finger at me and gave me a war look."You're the one I'm trying to help here." She shot a quick smirk at me and sat up, grabbing my hands and pulling my body off the couch."

"Now lets go tell that fat bastard you quit your job". She growled mockingly and pulled me through the front door.

A little synopsis of whats to come. Could you please be kind to Vote and Comment? Thanks!