Chapter 5

There I was, hiking through in the tropical amazon rainforest, striding over broken branches and the grassy plain below me. I stopped for a second to catch a stunning view from the top of the hill, my camera pointed towards the everlasting, magical waterfall as it cast a dreamy fog overhead. I spotted a striking spectacle over my head, blue and yellow macaws airborne in the brilliant blue of they sky, I raised my camera over my head to capture....

Before I could capture that memory forever in my camera, a sudden cold blast of water hit me right on my face as I let out a penetrating shriek.

"Mom said to wake you up,and get dressed, we're having breakfast in the café in 10 minutes." My soon-to-be dead sister announced in a perpetually bored voice, as if throwing water on me was as boring as watching paint dry.

"UGHHH, JUST GET OUT OF MY ROOM!" I demanded, not in the mood to start a fight so early in the morning.

It was 9:30, who has breakfast so early in the summer? My body won't even move let alone my mouth to chew.

Still, I was determined to change out of my soaking pjs, which were making me shiver from the ice cold water.

I voted on wearing my cute knee-length summer dress with the pink and white floral print and matching flats. Dressing nicely always seemed to cheer me up, and in some way acted as a good luck charm, and I knew I needed the most luck I could get, in order to make this trip enjoyable at this hour.

With a last coat of mascara, a pink nude color of my favorite lipstick to match my dress and a touch of light peach blush to add some color to my face, I headed out the door, as my stomach grumbled letting me know how hungry I was.

🔸🔸🔸🔸🔸🔸🔸🔸🔸🔸🔸🔸🔸

"All in favor of going to the Louvre Museum, raise your hand.", Cammy declared as she raised her own hand.

I glanced around at our table, noting that no one was really listening to Cammy as she tried to settle on what sightseeing attraction we should all go to, after breakfast. Mom was busy scolding at Onyx to show some manners while he ate, as he piled on food after food on his plate from the all you can eat breakfast buffet, maple syrup dripping down his mouth as he took yet another sausage. Dad, seemed oblivious to everything around him, as he typed some important looking e-mails, on his laptop already looked tired and stressed. Of course, Ruby was continuously flirting with Finn, who repeatedly looked at me for a brief second, his signature smile on his face before turning back around to say some impractical comment to Ruby.

When I heard we were having breakfast with the Jones, I instantly thought of last night in the limo with Finn, and knew I couldn't face another mortifying disaster this morning, so I chose the farthest seat from him and tried to keep my distance as far as possible. Now, as I sat there eating the heavenly pancakes and watching Ruby and Finn exchange, I wondered whatever they were talking about last night and my horrid act.

At last, after 20 minutes of disagreeing on where to go, and a close tie between the Louvre Museum or the Eiffel Tower, we all agreed on first seeing the most popular landmark of France's capital, the Eiffel Tower.

Mom, Ruby, Cammy, Finn and I volunteered to go. While Dad and Onyx stayed behind, due to Dad's many protests that he had to stay back to work on some official matters for his job. Plus, someone had to supervise Onyx, considering that it would be difficult for Onyx to climb up all those steps in his wheelchair, so he stayed behind, eager to try out the video-game arcade at the hotel, any 10 year old boys dream.

My mind went back a year ago to the day of the big accident. It was as normal as a day could be, the leaves were silently falling off the trees in the middle of October, just a day before Halloween. That afternoon, Mom and Dad left to buy some more Halloween candy, because Onyx never got the memo that it wasn't supposed to be eaten or maybe because he was just that hungry.

Anyway, Ruby was off shopping for yet another one of her too tight or too revealing costumes with her bimbo friends. So, that left me and Onyx alone at the house, I was nonchalantly reading another one of my sappy romance novels and Onyx was at one of his friend's house, with my permission, seeing that I was in actual charge of him. That's why, when the news of Onyx jumping off his friend's two story house for a stupid dare reached me, I made myself believe it was entirely all my fault. Ever since then, Mom and Dad have been extremely cautious through wards Onyx. It was a distressing time after that, what with all of the family's money spent on Onyx's surgeries, x-rays and wheelchair and Ruby's failed attempt to be accepted into a college and my inability to do anything as I become depressed, at what I thought was to be my fault. However, a happy ending soon came this year, when Dad got offered a brand new well paid job in Paris, and I become more engrossed with my camera, taking pictures of beautiful landscapes to cover up my depression and Ruby decided to take up a community college.

I switched back to reality when I finally realized we were here, as I sat in the bus, the Eiffel Tower towered over me as I peered out the window.

"Come on, Daydreamer, let's go out and see the City of Love's romanticist place yet.", the charming voice of Finn Jones blurted out as he ruffled my hair, like I was a kid, and toke out with Ruby on his arm, giggling like he just said the funniest joke ever.