Forever?

The sound of soft whistles filled the room. Light tones of laughter echoing throughout the house. Jenn sat in the next room. The door was left open and I could spot the soft curls in her chestnut hair, brushing around the slender bones in her back.

My beautiful daughters were at her right. Both giggled as they caressed a paint filled bristle across a once spotless sheet of parchment.

            I could make out every curve in their perfect faces through the candle light. Every strand of brown hair and even the specks of blue in there green eyes. They mirrored exact images of my wife in her younger years. The creaseless surface in their face, along with their wide smile could be mistaken for that, of a photograph.

            My eyes wandered from my family over to the wooden desk before me. A miniature glass was held between my fingertips. The strong orange liquid left a lingering smell in my den, but with every forced gulp came an overwhelming push of endurance. And after a few, I was able to leave my small notepad.

            “Hey, Honey.” Jenn’s angelic voice spoke.

            “Daddy, look at my painting!” Maggie said. Her style with the brush was quite advanced. No other student in her preschool could recreate any painting of hers. Each stroke came with talent and patience – another one of the great qualities her mother passed onto her.

            “It’s amazing Sweetheart.”

            The smile spread across her lips could lighten any mood, and soften any heart. The pink in her cheeks rose as she grabbed the brush again. The tool was pressed against her cheek as she examined the small tulip painted into the canvas.

            Cindy lay near Maggie, cradling her knees and biting her thumb. Both eyelids fluttered, trying to fight the sleep that was slowly overcoming her. I knelt down and left a small kiss to her head. At my touch, her eyes lifted open one last time, then shut completely.

            I smiled at my youngest beauty. To think that I assisted in creating such a child brought great amusement. A light hand took hold of my arm. A smooth cheek leaning against my back.

            “I love you James.” Jenn whispered into my ear.

            I turned to face her. Our foreheads pressed together as my breath hardened, craving her lips.

            “As I love you.”

            “Forever?” She questioned, a one sided smirk appearing.

            “Forever.”

Our lips brushed each other’s in a passion-filled kiss. When my eyes blinked open I could see Jenn looking over my shoulder. I turned towards the girls and instantly had to suppress a scream from surfacing. My body dropped down to the floor. I clutched Cindy’s body. The strength in my little girl was gone and her corpse was left cold as the blood rushing from a circle in her chest, spewed out.

            “Cindy!” I shouted waiting for a response I would never get.

            Instantly I turned to my wife. My eyes pleading for help.

            “Why aren’t you doing anything?” My voice strained as I stared at my wife’s odd smile.

            “Jenn! Do something!”

            She continued to smirk. A slight tilt in her head caused for my stomach to turn as the alcohol - that was not fully digested - tried to make an appearance.

            “Maggie? Maggie!”

            Both of my daughters paled. Lips showing red as liquid flushed from their systems and left their mouths. Maggie had dropped her brush. A small hole in her back about the size of Cindy’s wound.

            “Cindy! Maggie!” I cried.

            “Jenn! Please, help them!”

            The words she spoke sent shivers through my body. I cradled both children in my arms as the wide, malicious smirk haunted my every thought. “They are dead, James. The three of us are. Don’t you remember? … You have to let us go.”

            “No! You’re not dead! You’re lying.”

            “We’ll always be with you My Love. We’ll just be in your heart from now on. We love you. I love you.”

            “I love you too. All three of you.” Tears left my eyes. I battled with my mind. Eyes forcing themselves shut to hide the tears, but then forcing themselves open to watch my family.

            “Forever?” Jenn said just above a whisper.

            “Forever.”

____________________

Hope you like this sad little story. I was inspired by 'Dream House' (movie)

Hope none of you are too sad after reading this. 

And maybe you're glad I updated. It's just been so long since i last wrote and i had to do it or ... I dunno.

Lots of love -K