Prom.

Prom.

There are drug stores around the world. About 95 of them in my city and only 75 are pharmacies. The rest don’t necessarily sell prescriptions.

My groggy eyes opened enough for me to locate the shop door knob. I twisted the cold metal in my hand opening the door as a small chime signaled my arrival. The old pharmacy still looked the same. From the few year's I had started working here to this present day. Pearl white walls and simply three isles of all kinds of legally medicated drugs. Then at the far back was the counter where the prescriptions were signed off. My boss sat on a chair behind the long counter. A usual location to find him sitting at, waiting for a customer. But he did own the shop.

"Hey there Harry." he called out to me. Frantically waving as I turned the small counter into the staff side of the pharmacy.

"Hey there, Bill." I called back. My voice lower than normal. A dead tone filling each word as my sulky face forced a weak smile.

"I heard about what happened. Harry." he continued.

"It’s no big deal...I mean I get it." I said trying to sound cheerful but coming off as depressed. I heard the clinks of his heavy boots hit the tiled floor as he made his way over to me. A strong arm taking hold of my shoulder, pressing not so gently as a sign that I should look at him. My eyes eased open. Looking down at the grey haired man in front of me. To think that in years to come, I’ll end up with the wrinkles he has.

“Listen Harry. She’s a goddamn slut for pulling something like that.”

“It’s just prom.” I cut him off but he continued over me.

“Just prom? Harry, prom’s only going to happen once. You’re graduating and leaving high school, and your girlfriend decides to leave you for another guy the day before.” He shook his head from left to right in disbelief as every word left his mouth. His round glasses falling lower down his nose before his free hand pushed it back into place. The other hand still squeezing my shoulder but with less force. More of a comforting gesture.

“We were only dating for a couple of months- so I mean it’s nothing really.” I tried to brush her off my mind but the rich blonde locks kept re- envisioning themselves in my brain.

“She’s a waste of air. I see that girl walking around town with guys wrapped around her finger. Then she leaves a nice boy like you dateless the day before prom…you know what. Let me help you out.” His pale hand reached into his back pocket pulling out an historic looking flip phone.

“I have a daughter, you know.” He grinned. I forced a half smile as the thought of my ex flashed through my brain for the last time before a gorgeous looking brunette took her spot. Bright blue eyes staring back at me through the thin screen of his cell phone. The picture was taken of the two of them from shoulders up.

“She’ll be your date.” He gushed.

“Alright.” I said back, my muzzy voice slowly clearing up. Back into the deep husky sound I was used to hearing.

***

My black tuxedo fit perfectly. I fiddled with the boutonniere in my hand. I picked a violet coloured flower because Bill had tipped me about it being [y/n]’s favorite colour. [y/n], it rolled of my tongue so easily. Like it was meant to be said from my lips.

I opened the limo door and stepped out. Looking up at the red bricked building before me as Bill emerged from the door. He walked over to me.

“Be back by twelve.” He whispered, his fingers fixing my blazer’s collar as he turned towards the front door. I nodded in response and followed his gaze.