-Chapter 9-

Chapter 9

The next day, Sunday, I wondered all day what Smith wanted to ask me. Obviously, it wasn't about my grades and it wasn’t that he needed help with his own subject. I couldn't find any other reason he would like to speak to me.

So at 2:45pm, I made my way to his office. I arrived just a bit before 3 o'clock, I knocked onto the door and a moment later, he opened it, smiling widely.

"Hello, Miss Granger," he greeted me and let me walk in.

"Hello, Sir," I answered than looked around.

The ceiling had been charmed with the same spell as the Great Hall, allowing us to look right up at the sky. The rest of the room was truly something. Every wall was covered by either books or paintings. Odd paintings like nothing else. Some of the books had a weird writing that I didn't recognize from Ancient Ruins class.

Smith gestured to me to have a seat and brought over the tea and sat on his chair behind the desk.

"So, what was it that you wanted to ask me, professor?" I asked after taking a sip.

"I was wondering... Have you seen anything... odd or strange in the school lately? Out of the ordinary?"

"This is Hogwarts, Sir. There's always something out of the ordinary happening. You can trust me on that," I laughed.

"Of course, of course!" he agreed, joining in my laughter. "But still, something sinister?" he added.

"Not since that weird thing with my face or whatever that was..." I shrugged.

"Hmhm," he nodded.

There was a long moment of silence as I sipped on my tea.

"So, tell me, Miss Granger. Something has me confused about you," he spoke up.

"Really? What could possibly confuse you about me?" I replied, trying to understand where he was going.

"I'm not an idiot, I know everything about the second Wizarding War and what you have done in it. You could have any job offered to you in the entire wizarding world easy as that and yet you are back here to finish your studies though it seems like you already know everything! Why waste your time?" he asked, completely frank.

I took a moment to think of my answer, getting lost in my own thoughts, but finally came to a conclusion as to why I was back at Hogwarts.

"Because, Sir, my education is my priority. It has always been. But it's not just that... It's because I don't know. I don't know what I want to do. I feel like I'm met for something greater than a healer of a teacher - not that there's anything wrong with being a teacher!" I quickly added, but he just smiled in amusement. "Or even the Ministry. I guess the reason why I'm here it's because it allows me another year to think about my future. Does that answer your question, professor?"

"Yes, very well actually," he grinned. "You really are the brightest witch of your age, you know."

"So I've been told," I laughed.