Chapter 34

"Today, you will be learning how to shoot a gun, and throw knives." Tobias says, pacing slowly in front of the initiates.

It was the first day of training, and we decided to mix it up, putting knife throwing and shooting first, with fighting followed. I handed a gun to each of the transfers.

Jeremy smiled at me as I thrust a gun into his hands. I show no emotion to him, as I go in front of the target to show them how it's done.

Tobias shoots first, hitting the exact center, followed by me, also hitting the center.

"Were you ranked both ranked first?" Tania asks, twirling a strand of hair with her finger.

"Yes." I say, flatly.

They start shooting, and I lean against the table, along with Tobias, but at a comfortable distance.

"This really is killing me, and its only the second day." He says, so only I can hear.

I nod a bit, watching the initiates. Leia is the first to hit the target, as she converses with Tania. She raises her eyebrows at Tania, who scowls, second to hit the target. Competition, great.

~~~

When we break for lunch, everyone has hit the target, but Julia and Jenna can't hit the middle.

I sit with Chris, Uriah and Will, during lunch. Tobias sits across from me.

"So, how are the initiates?" Will asks.

"Okay, I guess." I say, distracted sounding.

"I can tell Julia and Jenna won't make it." Tobias tells them, plainly, looking at his food.

"What's with you two?" Uriah asks us.

Tobias gives me a look. "We're keeping our relationship undercover. It's killing me."

"Why would that matter?" Christina asks.

I think a second. Why did we do it?

"I honestly don't know." I finally say.

"Lets forget about it, then." Tobias states, slightly giving a smile.

He slides his hand to mine under the table. I smile at him and continue eating.

At the end of the lunch break we go back to the training room.

"This afternoon we will teach you to throw knives. Grab some daggers, then stand in facing a target." I say.

They get their knives, and I go to grab some, when a hand goes over my wrist.

It's Tobias.

"Don't you think we should scare them a little?" He asks.

I laugh, and nod.

Before the transfers start throwing, I go and stand at the target.

Jenna looks annoyed. "What is he doing?"

"Showing you what bravery is." Tobias says.

He holds his hand back, and throws. It lands above me. He throws the next knife. It lands under the last knife, but just above my head.

He draws the last knife back, and after he throws, I feel the sting again.

A few initiates gasp as they see the blood from my ear.

I glare at Four. "Three times? Really? Don't you think this is getting old?"

"No."

I roll my eyes, and go to help some of the initiates. Leia, surprising, has the best throw, and Nate has the best aim.

Jeremy throws one almost flawlessly, as I help Jenna.

"Jeremy, hold your shoulders higher, you need to be confident when throwing." I tell him, watching his next throw.

"Oh, I didn't think of that." He smiles sweetly. "Thanks, Tris."

I walk away, uninterested. I wish I could tell him I have a boyfriend, who is currently in the room. And that he would likely kill to protect me. I almost smile at the thought.