Chapter 8

Tobias stands up. "I'm not going anywhere near him."

I grab his wrist and pull him back onto the couch. "You don't have to."

"Beatrice." My mother says. "Your father will want to talk to you. He should know about you and T- I mean Four." She adds, "Chances are Marcus will be with him. Do you just want to get it over with? I could go get them, instead of doing it in public."

He faintly nods, and Mom leaves to go get them.

"Tris." Tobias says desperately, putting his lips on my cheek and holding it there.

"Tobias. Just get it over with, you'll never have to see him again." I say.

"You don't know that." He says defensively.

~~~

After a while, Mom comes back, with Marcus and my dad. They both have unreadable expressions implanted on their faces. Until Marcus sees Tobias, as least.

He looks happy to see him, but Tobias looks disgusted. All I can see are the black pits, where Marcus' eyes should be.

Dad looks over at me. I walk over to him.

"Dad." I say, tersely.

"Beatrice, I have one question, that's it." He says.

I nod, not loosing eye contact with him.

He clears his throat. "Are you happy with your choice?"

I don't need to think before responding. "Of course I am." I tell him. "I needed to leave, to figure out who I am. I still have Abnegation in me. That's when I'm bravest." I look over to Tobias, and he smiles slightly. "But I wouldn't change my choice for the world."

He nods, and goes to sit next to my mom, on the couch. I take Tobias' hand, letting the warmth of mine into his cold fingertips.

"Tobias, I'm not sure I can forgive you, as Andrew did to Beatrice." Marcus says plainly.

This sets Tobias off. "Forgive me? What in earth did I do?" He yells. "I'm the one who was abused! I'm the one who was beaten! You can't forgive me? For what? For escaping my nightmares? That was one of the best choices I ever made!"

Marcus looks speechless. I'm speechless. He walks out, and I don't care if he comes back.

My mother goes to get him, but my dad stands and comes over to me.

"I'm sorry. For all of this." He says.

He leaves the room, and I wrap my arms around Tobias.

"God, that was awful." He says, one arm wrapped around me, and the other brushing through my hair.

I hear the door unlock, and Christina comes in with Will, Uriah, Marlene, and Lynn.

"Hey, we goi-" She pauses. "Were we interrupting?"

"No." Tobias lets go of me, but keeps an arm around my shoulder.

"Well I was about to say we are going over to Zeke's for another round if truth or dare." Chris tells us. "The last was lame. The only thing we found out was that you guys were dating, and we already were inferring that."

"Sure, we'll go." Tobias says.