Chapter 4

I wake, and sit up in bed. I look over, and remember I slept over at Zeke's. I shake Tobias awake, and he drowsily sits up.

"Hey. You sleep well?" He asks, rubbing the sleep from his eyes.

"Yes." I smile.

I grab his hand, and squeeze it. He looks over at me and smiles. We are still in the dark, but I can see his blue eyes, almost glowing.

"We should get up." I say.

"Maybe in a minute." He says, and leans over to kiss me.

I dodge him, and smile. He tries again, and the same thing happens, but I stifle a laugh.

Tobias groans and plants his hands on my shoulders. I squirm, but he kisses me, and I relax, happy to have my lips on his.

We eventually get up and Tobias goes to get some breakfast while I change.

He comes back into the bedroom, after I'm dressed, with two muffins in his hand.

"Max has an announcement in the Pit in 10 minutes." He says.

"Any idea what it's about?" I ask him, putting on my shoes.

He thinks for a second. "I think it's about the government issues."

I nod and nibble my muffin as we walk toward the Pit. Tobias goes off to talk to Zeke about something, so I finish my muffin and go to stand near the side of the crowd, leaning against the rough walls of the cavern.

I see Christina talking to Will, but don't want to interrupt. I'm about to go over to them, when Eric crosses the Pit toward me.

Great.

"So, are you excited to become a full Dauntless member?" He asks, being nice, but I don't know if its an act or not.

"Yeah. I'm a lot happier here than if I were still in Abnegation." I say, which is true, I just hope he realizes that. "Anyway, what do you want?"

"I heard you and Four are together." He smirks. "What could you ever see in him?"

My cheeks get red, but Tobias walks up.

"What do you want?" He asks Eric.

Eric grins. "Oh, just asking your girlfriend if she was excited about becoming a Dauntless member." He says.

"And?" Tobias scowls.

"And what? Worried she she likes me instead of you?" Eric wickedly smiles.

I can't stand it anymore. "What is your problem?" I ask Eric. "You don't care at all, if I love him or not. All you care about is putting him below yourself, which is a sign of cowardice."

Eric looks shocked at my burst of confidence, and stalks away. Tobias puts his arm around me, as Max speaks up.

"Listen up!" He calls through the cavern. "Resent changes in the government are going to be effecting us all. If you didn't know, Erudite and Abnegation formed an agreement to allow other factions say in the government. We will send one representative once a month to a council meeting. We will have some say in the government, but Abnegation leaders will have the final say."

"Also," He continues, "There will be a a new festivity for all factions, in the next 5 weeks. Each week will honor a different faction. That faction will open their compound to the other factions, so they can learn how we live. We believe this can aid next year initiates to which faction they would like, along with show each other who we are." He clears his throat. "Speaking of initiates, we have some new members that have to assign jobs."

An out roar of clapping and stomping arises, but is soon silenced by Max.

"Initiates, please come up to the stand." He says.

I walk through the crowd of people, up to the stand. They call us into order, and I stand in between Max and Uriah.

"Alright. There is one leader position, a tattoo artist, two initiate instructors, chefs, and store clerks. The last three will guard the fence." He turns to me. "Tris Prior, pick your jobs."

I smile, and say, "Tattoo artist, and initiate instructor."

There is a chorus of cheers and Max continues down the line of new members. Uriah chose Dauntless leader, Lynn chose to be a store clerk and initiate instructor, Marlene chose ambassador, Peter chose the control room, Christina chose store clerk, and Will chose to work as a chef.

Afterwards, we met up with one of the leaders, a friendly looking lady in her late twenties, and we chose apartments. Christina and I walk down to the dormitory to get our things, and walk toward our new home.