Chapter 19

I wake to emptiness. I don't feel empty, the bed feels empty. I then remember the events of last night, and realize Tobias must've gone back to his place.

I sit up, and notice a sweet smell coming from the kitchen. I peer out my door, to see Tobias making chocolate chip pancakes, and Christina, Will, Zeke, and Uriah all seating at the table.

I walk out, still in the clothes from last night.

"Didn't know you could cook." I say, instead of the usual 'Good Morning.'

"The least I could do." He says, quietly.

Uriah looks amused as I sit down. I narrow my eyes.

"So, how was last night? Did you think you were gonna get murdered by your own boyfriend?" He teases.

I smack his face. Hard. "Have you ever hung over the chasm by someone who hates you? And when they get chased off, wouldn't you think they'd want to come and finish their dirty work?" I ask him.

He nervously shakes his head.

"Well then, you wouldn't understand why I panicked last night." I say, sitting down.

Tobias hands me a pancake, and I take a bite out of it, not bothering with the syrup and butter at the table.

Uriah takes a bite, then pauses. "Wait, why did Peter stop the first time?" He asks.

Tobias, at the stove finishing cooking the last of the batter, freezes.

"Someone helped me." I state.

He goes back to his cooking, taking the pancakes off the stove, onto a plate, that he walks over to us.

"Oh, who, Tris?" Christina gossips next to me, leaning in close.

"Um, some unidentifiabl-"

"IT WAS FOUR!" She screams. "Not just then, it was him! In your fear landscape! I can't believe I didn't figure it out sooner!"

Tobias' face runs red, and his hand meets his forehead. "You told her?"

My face must be the deepest shade of red imaginable, but I nod. "She asked."

Zeke and Uriah look completely dumbfounded. "What are you guys talking about?" They say in unison.

Christina opens her mouth to reply, but I stop her. "No, if those two find out, the whole compound will find out by tonight."

She slumps in her chair, then gets a sly smile on her face.

"Wait, so Four knows? You told him?" She wiggles her eyebrows. "Are you over the fear yet? Hm?"

If my face wasn't so red, it would have gotten redder.

"Yeah, he knows. I wouldn't just keep that from him." I say.

Tobias comes over and kisses my forehead. All of a sudden, he picks me up from the chair, and sit in it, placing me on his lap.

"This is one of the perks of you being so small." He says to me, smiling.

"Oh? And what are some of the other wonderful perks of me?" I ask.

He taps his chin. "Hm, I'll have to get back to you on that." I smack him. "What? I mean there are too many great things about you."

I roll my eyes, then notice everyone staring at us.

"This is so weird." Zeke explains, a wicked grin on his face. "I don't think I have ever seen a wild Four during its mating season. I've only seen a Fours when they are guarding territories."

Tobias shoots him a glare, but he has a look of relax in his eyes. Maybe Zeke was partially right. People only see Four, the guarded, determined instructor, not the open, relaxed... friend.

"I have an event planned tonight." Zeke says. "Its for couples, and yes, it's a surprise.

We agree, not knowing what to expect.

~~~

We, Zeke, Shauna, Marlene, Uriah, Christina, Will, Tobias and I meet in the Pire. Lynn is off with Gabe again, but I don't tell the group, because that's Lynn's decision, not mine.

"Thank, ladies and Dauntless men, for coming to my fun evening I have planned." He smiles his goofy, Zeke smile. "I'm sure you all will enjoy it, at least most of it."

Oh no. What was he going to have us do? Then it comes to me, why he would have us meet in the Pire.

The fear landscapes.