Chapter 22

A/N: I'm just gonna let you know that in this chapter: PLOT TWIST

The next day, I go to work, and do the usual: work.

I hadn't seen Tobias all day, so i was anxious to see him at dinner. As I'm about to go into the dining hall, Zeke races up to me.

"Tris! I need you to come with me." He says.

Usually, I wouldn't go, because, well, he's Zeke. But he seems nervous, and scared, and worried.

"Okay, why?" I ask, as he lead the way.

"It's Four. He slipped off one of the paths." He says, taking me to the infirmary.

My heart sinks. I stop walking.

"Come on, Tris, he is fine. Just a small concussion. The only thing..." He trails off.

"What? What is it?" I ask.

My tears become hot with tears, and I looks down at the ground.

"He has amnesia, and..." He clears his throat. "He doesn't remember anything from the past two months."

"What? No, no. Tell me this isn't true, please." I plead with him.

If he lost his memory of the last two months, he lost any memories of me. This couldn't be possible. No, it just couldn't.

"I'm sorry. He'll get his memories back, but not for a week or two." Zeke explains.

A sob racks my body, and he pulls me into a hug. I hear someone come over to me, and see Christina.

"Oh, Tris." She says. "Come on. We should see him."

"No! I don't want to see him if he doesn't know me!" I say.

"He could get his memories back sooner, if you are near him." She says.

"Fine." I say, sniffing.

She takes my hand, and leads me into the infirmary. She quietly converses with the receptionist, then walks the halls and stops at a door. I breathe deeply, before walking in.

In a chair, sits Tobias, talking to a doctor.

"Do you remember you faction?" The doctor asks.

"Yes, I do, but I don't feel obligated to tell you." Tobias replies.

"What about this previous initiation?"

"I remember my initiation, and last year. Nothing of this year." He replies.

The doctor finally looks over to me and Christina. "You don't remember these girls?"

Tobias glances at Christina and stares at me. "They made it through initiation?" He laughs.

I feel the tears returning with even more force, and I bite my lip.

"Yes," The doctor says. "This is Christina and Tris." He explains, motioning to Chris and I.

"Christina, lets just go." I say, not wanting to see me like this.

I grab her arm, and she follows me out.

"Wow." She says. "That is crazy."

~~~

Later that day, Christina decides I need to stop crying and get ready for a party Uriah's having. I don't want to go, but get dressed anyway.

"I know what you're doing." I tell her, walking down the hall to Uriah's apartment. "Four will be there, and you want me to have to see him."

She sighs. "God, is there anything you can't figure out?" She asks me. "Just be yourself, and it will help him remember."

I nod.

The party consists of the usual group, including Tobias. Uriah goes first, since 'he is the host.'

"Tris, truth or dare?" He says, all dramatic.

"Truth."

"Do you enjoy being called a pansycake?" He asks.

"No, Christina, truth or dare?" I ask.

"Wait! But that wasn't my question!" Uriah whines.

Christina laughs, telling me dare.

"I dare you to not go shopping for a whole week."

She slides her jacket off. "Not happening, Stiff."

Tobias glances around. He must think she's calling him a Stiff, until he looks over to me, and realizes I was a Stiff.

"I remember you." He says to me. "You were that Stiff, that jumped first."

"And?" Shauna asks, eager, like me.

"That's all. She was one of the initiates, I guess." He says.

I deflate, sad he doesn't remember the Ferris wheel, or the knives, or the chasm, or the kidnapping. But I also feel hope, that he remembers something.

"Will, truth or dare?" Christina asks, getting back to the game.

"Truth."

"Have you ever dated anyone besides me?" Chris asks.

"2 others, but neither were as perfect as you." As he says this, she smiles, blushing. Will turns to Tobias. "Four, truth or dare?"

"Dare."

"I dare you to kiss the one girl in this room that you would date." Will says.

Of course he said that.

Tobias, my Tobias, gets up, and kisses Lauren. He walks back to his seat, not knowing, at all, about the knife he just stabbed in my chest.

I get up and run.