Chapter 39

[ Niall's POV ]

I laughed at Louis' stupidity. We never normally go walk around the mall like this, but we just wanted to have fun today. Louis was making a scene by pole-dancing on the light post. Everyone near us snickered and Paul just pretended not to know us. I don't blame him. We're a wreck. I can't even be serious right now. I have left Liam fifteen messages and he won't reply. I'm really worried about him, I just hope he's okay. I know he's been having troubles and doubts about himself lately, but he should be fine... I hope. I pray...

As if on cue, my phone buzzed in my front pocket. Excitedly, I pulled it out quickly. It took longer than expected, though, because of the many shopping bags I was carrying on my arms. I even bought Liam something, just as a friendship gift. After what felt like forever, I got my phone out and glanced down at the message while glancing back up to make sure I didn't wander away from Paul or the boys.

'Nialler, come home? I need you. xx'

Oh, Jesus. I looked up at the boys, who had stopped walking to wait for me, and they looked right back at me with worry and concern in their glistening eyes.

"Who's that?" Harry asked, motioning towards my phone.

I shuddered. "Liam. He needs me. I'm gonna go, okay?"

"Do you need us to come?" Zayn asked, giving me a worried look. Ever since our split, he's been very open about Liam re-joining us and going back to being normal. It didn't feel normal, though. It just felt messed up and not right. Like one of us could do better.

"No, I can go alone."

"Do you want me to walk you to the car?" Paul asked, pulling himself off of the bench he was resting on. We've been walking around for nearly three hours; I'm wouldn't be surprised if he just passed out due to exhaustion at this very moment.

I shook my head quickley, turned on my heel, and started for the exit. I sure am glad we all came in seperate cars; Louis with Harry, me alone, and Zayn with Paul. I glanced around as I made my way to the nearest exit. Newspapers with the headlines, "One Direction: Acoustic Album!", "One Direction's Niall getting naughty texts from Demi Lovato?", "Zayn Malik and his mirror are split!", and "Harry and Louis taking their romance to the next level?" were everywhere. Sometimes this all just feels like too much, and I just want to be normal. But then I see a sexy girl in the crowd, and all that goes away.

I found my car quickly since I parked in the front. I tossed my bags into the passenger seat and hopped into the driver's seat. Liam needs me, so I'll be there for him. I'd do anything for my best friend. I drove off as fast as I could while trying not to get a ticket for speeding. Hell, I don't care if I do or not; as long as I get to Liam.

It is usually a thirty-minute drive back home from the mall, but since I decided to break the law, I got there in seventeen minutes. I didn't even bother getting my bags out of the car. I was in too much of a rush. I parked swiftly outside of Liam's flat in my shiny black Camaro, unbuckled my seatbelt, and jogged to the door. I never have to knock; I mean, come on.. It's just Liam.

That thought hurts now, because it's not just Liam. It's my best friend, my brother. It'll always be like that, which also kind of hurts. I don't know why, but it did on the inside. I guess a part of me still has strong feelings for Liam Payne. Who wouldn't? He is just so strong and so amazing; disliking him is about the same as kicking an injured puppy.

I pushed the door open and looked around, looking for any sign of him.

"Liam?" I called out. My voice echoed through the seemingly empty flat, which made a shiver run thoroughly down my back. "Liam, where are you?"