Chapter 25 - Charlotte

"It is during our darkest moments that we must focus to see the light."

-Aristotle Onassis

- - - - - - - - - -- - - -

Chapter 25 - Charlotte

I snatch the book from his hands and stuff it underneath the mattress. “It’s nothing.” I tell him, but it’s a lie. Relationships are based off of trust and I’m not exactly ready to share this with him; so what does this say about our relationship?

“You sure?” He asks, looking concerned. I would be concerned too if he snatched a book out of my hands then stuffed it underneath the mattress.

“One hundred percent.”

I’ll tell him when I’m ready. We’ve only been dating for four months, is that enough to trust someone with your deepest, darkest secrets? I decide to just forget he saw the journal , it’s better that way.

“Wanna watch a movie?” I ask him, moving over in the hospital bed so he can lay with me.

“Sure, that would be nice,” he responds, laying next to me and pulling the paper-thin material over us. I cuddle into his chest and breathe in his scent, trying to remember the moment. Something in my mind tells me that we won’t be able to do this again and that I need to savour every moment with him.

We watch the movie in complete silence, the only sound being us breathing. None of the nurses come in and neither does my mum. Usually they check on me every thirty minutes but apparently not anymore.

Eventually I fall asleep. The only reason I know that is because I woke up and Ashton is gone. My eyes travel across the room only to land on my mum, who’s sitting in the chair she was in before Ashton came.

“Where did Ash go?” I ask her, sitting up and stretching my arms and legs.

“He had to go and deal with Chase back in his apartment.” Mum says, sitting on the edge of the bed.

“When do I get out?”

“We were waiting for you to wake up to leave. So now.” Mum says, standing up. She presses a button to summon the nurses. In only a few seconds, we get two nurses. One of them was actually really attractive. I may be in a relationship but I can admire other people’s attractiveness.

They unwire me and I get dressed in what Mum brought me. We walk out together and I just wish I was with Ashton. What happened with Chase? Did he get arrested? I honestly don’t know what he’d get arrested for. The worst thing he’d do would be making out with Liam in the park and even that’s not that bad. Anything is better than them having sex; especially in a park.

“Can you take me to Ashton’s?” I ask Mum, turning away from the window to face her. Right now, I just want to see Ashton and see what happened with Chase that made Ashton leave before I even got to leave. I was only asleep for an hour.

She sighs, “It’s like you two can’t stay away from each other for more than a few hours.”

“We’re in love, Mum.” I tell her, looking out the windshield thingy. Ashton and I are in love. Is there something wrong with wanting to be with the one you love?

“I know that, but you need to learn that a relationship is more than spending time together. You need to learn that you can spend time apart and still be in love.”

“When did you get so inspirational?” I ask her with an amused look on my face. I did take that into consideration. Ashton and I spend a lot of time together so maybe we should stop that. I’ll have a whole day away from him. Even no texting. Starting right now. Maybe I should tell him that I won’t talk to him for a day, he’d get worried.

To Ashton:

I wont talk to you for a whole day so byeeee xxx

From Ashton:

Good luck with that. Your grammar is terrible by the way

To Ashton:

you  have no right to tell me that

From Ashton:

I’m your English teacher.

To Ashton:

but still

From Ashton:

And I thought you weren’t going to talk to me for a day?

To Ashton:

shut up, ash x

With that, I lock my phone and set it on the seat, half-way underneath my thigh. Sometimes I wish he wasn’t my English teacher so that he couldn’t comment on my grammar. When we arrive at home, I go directly to my room and call Poppy to get her to come over. Call me a nerd but I want to finish all the homework I missed as soon as possible. It only took her twenty minutes to get to my house with all the stuff I missed since she was already doing her homework. I look at the calendar.

May 7. Graduation is three weeks away. Finals are only two weeks away. I need to study because if I don’t study then I’ll fail them and if I fail them then I won’t get to go to U of M.

Thankfully, Poppy brought all of her notes with her so we could study for finals together. We study all through the night, only falling asleep at 4 am. Mum let Poppy stay over only because she knew that we’d be studying. If finals weren’t in two weeks then she would never let Poppy sleep over on a school night.

Needless to say, I was completely exhausted the next day since I had to wake up at 7 to get ready for school. At least I get to see Ashton. I also survived at not talking to him for the rest of the day. Now I just need to get through today and then I get the weekend. Hopefully a weekend spent entirely with Ashton.