Chapter 22 - Ashton

"The word 'happiness' would lose its meaning if it were not balanced by sadness."

-Carl Jung

-----------

Ashton's POV

The fact that I couldn’t bare to see Charlotte hurt and mad at me, was something that was eating away at me slowly inside. It was something that I did to her, it was something that made her hate me. I couldn’t believe what Chris had done. He had put a strain on my relationship with Charlotte.

Before school today, I was walking through the corridors to my classroom when Chris stopped me.

“So, are you having an affair with your student? You seemed pretty crushed by what happened to a certain student yesterday,”

“Shut up,” I said as I entered my classroom. “You don’t know anything. You didn’t know if I was single or taken, you didn’t know if I was gay or straight, you just kissed me without thinking of the consequences it might put on me.”

“You are too hot to resist, like hell, have you seen yourself lately?”

“Yeah, I have. Plus the fact that my girlfriend tells me that a lot,” I say, emphasizing on the girlfriend part.

“Who’s your girlfriend? I’ve never heard you mention one, it’s like you don’t have one. Are you just trying to make me jealous?” Chris says with a smirk, that’s when I completely lose it.

“I do have a fucking girlfriend! Her names Charlotte and she’s in the hospital with a broken ankle all because of you. She basically broke up with me because she thinks I’m cheating on her with you. Like seriously?! I love her with all my heart, yet she hates me! We’ve never told each other how serious our feelings are, and now thanks to you, that may never happen!” I told him practically screaming before adding, “I lost her…” It came out before I broke down crying.

“Your student? Nice. I wonder what the school board would think about this,” His smirk is clearly visible through my teary eyes.

“You better not tell anyone. I’ll do anything, please, just don’t tell. She’s the only person in the world that I want more than anything, please. I’ll do anything,” I pleaded, because truthfully I didn’t care about anything else, but Charlotte. She was my life, my world, my everything.

“Anything?”

“Anything,” 

“I’ll come back to you at the end of the day to tell you what I want you to do to keep me silent about your whole messed up relationship,” Chris leaves after he says that, leaving me crying on the floor.

I hear the door to my classroom squeak open, before closing.