20) Shrieker

An ear piercing shriek nearly broke Jareth's ears as the sound carried on, becoming closer and closer. He stood quickly and drew out a crystal sphere in each hand, clutching them to be ready for whatever was approaching.

Out from the thicket came a large white creature; eyes dripping a red substance, teeth sharp and long. Covering its body was white thin linen, ripped up and falling apart. It shrieked at Jareth, who stood silent but absolutely shaken inside. He flung a crystal at the head causing a small thunk to echo through it's hollow skull. The creature growled and it hovered closer to Jareth.

Before it could lift its boney hand to Jareth, the creature stumbled as if hit from behind. Two men came lunging toward the white creature and struggled to bring it down. One of the men shouted,

"Get out of here! We've got this!"

Jareth nodded slightly and turned to the tent to bring Raven out. But she had already came out and backed away. They ran to the horse that carried the carriage and hopped on as it carried them away. Before they even got remotely away from the camp, the white creature's elongated hand grabbed ahold of Jareth's shoulder and brought him down to the ground, separating him from Raven and the horse.

"Jareth!" Raven cried, trying to halt the horse.

"Go! Go!" He roared back as he swung a dagger at the white creature. The grey horse dashed away without hesitation, carrying Raven into the darker parts of the forest where the flora glowed darker. She could hear the shrieks of the white creature echoing from behind, and it was bone chilling. It sounded like it was following her. But where were the two men who appeared? And Jareth?

The horse's leg got caught in something and it tripped, flinging Raven into the air before she landed in the dirt with an umph.

She could see the white shrieking creature get closer and closer to her, and she was paralyzed on the forest floor. Raven couldn't move at all no matter how hard she tried.

It got closer, and was eventually just a few inches away. The face was grotesque; no nose, no flesh. The eyes were dark and some kind of blood-like liquid dropped from what would've been the eye sockets.

It's hand grasped Raven's neck and lifted her a few feet above the ground, choking her. The mouth opened as it let out a gurgling growl, but was interrupted when it was jabbed in the back of its head. Dropping Raven, the creature stood motionless as it was stabbed again. And again, before it collapsed and turned to dust.

Coughing and trying to breathe again, Raven's eyes widened at the sight of Jareth with blood on his face.

"Jareth...?"

"It's not mine." He spoke to her relief.

He knelt down in front of her and embraced her tightly, squeezing his eyes shut as a small sob escaped from the girl in his arms.