1) The White Owl

She lounged on the couch, sighing as she scrolled through things on her phone. Being left in charge of house-sitting and babysitting, Raven was ready for the weekend to be over with already when it had just started.

Flipping channel after channel on the television, she left it on some dull comedy that was barely even laughable.

She opened her bag and pulled out her favorite little red book, which had recently been neglected over the past month. Before she could start where she left off, the toddler she was left with began to throw a tantrum.

"Fuck..." Raven whispered. This was the third time the child had thrown a temper tantrum in the past two hours, and her family had left just a few minutes ago. Now what? She was no specialist with children under ten years old; she hated children. The only reason she agreed to babysitting was because she was offered a nice deal as a reward.

But she began to wonder exactly how long her sanity was going to last. She had three days to go.

Sighing, she looked out the window, and spotted something she thought she would never see; a barn owl. It was her favorite bird, and to see one in person was an accomplishment.

It's head turned this way and that, and Raven couldn't help but stare in awe. She napped a quick photo and put her phone away, slowly approaching the white bird. The closer she got to it, the more surreal it became. The owl didn't flinch, not a muscle moved.

"Hey..." Raven softly spoke. The owl just turned his head, making small twittering noises. Her hand slowly raised up to the owl, and still he didn't flinch or become scared. Was he bred in captivity and just an escapee?

Her hand came in contact with the barn owl, softly grazing his chest. His eyes closed slightly and he chirped quietly, enjoying the attention.

"I gotta go back inside, little guy." Raven sighed. "I'll see you around, yeah?" She smiled at him. The owl then tilted his head and left, gliding off.

---

It was just a little past midnight, and the child was asleep on the living room floor, snoring and drooling away. Raven had become engrossed into her book, nearing the end of the fantasy tale. How ironic she found it, reading a book with a white barn owl and just encountering one not long before. It sparked her belief in magic and the fantasy world.

Curious, she slipped her book into her sweater's pocket and quietly muttered to the sleeping child,

"I wish the goblins would come take you away."