12) Unfriendly History

A week had passed by, and Jareth hadn't even finished giving Raven a tour of the kingdom. They managed to get through the basic paths of the Labyrinth, and all there was left were the wings of the castle and the Goblin City.

The two walked together down the halls, making their way to the west wing of the castle.

"Jareth?"

"Hm?"

"I'm curious, but..." Raven hesitated, thinking her question was a little too dumb. "Since I live here in the Underground now, does that make me an immortal Fae like you? Or do I have to go through some sort of...trial or something?"

"You are still mortal, until I've decided when you become Fae."

"How does it work- happen, or whatever? Can anyone just, sorta change mortalities?" Her tone showing excitement.

"An immortal being has the ability to share their power with one mortal soul and make them immortal too. Only one, though, as choosing more than one will drain and potentially kill the immortal giver. When I decide the time to make you immortal, I will let you find out how it works." Jareth grinned deviously.

"So clear." Raven grunted.

Coming up to a set of thick wooden double-doors, the Goblin King pushed them open, revealing a massive hall; a library.

"Since you're so interested in lore and history of the Underground, I have plenty of books that'll satisfy your fancy." He smiled. The girl's face was awe-struck and her mouth hung slightly agape. Going down the staircase, Jareth allowed Raven to take the lead as she explored the dozens of bookshelves, her eyes going from fictional stories and tales to real events.

Between the tall shelves were tall windows with thick curtains pulled back, illuminating the hall with sunlight. Small balconies hid behind the curtains when closed, being made stone and marble and without a speck of dirt.

When the two came up to a balcony, a figure stood with its back to them, standing so silent even Jareth flinched a little.

"Excuse me." His friendly tone disappeared, exchanged for a tone of authority and dominance.

"Jareth, who's that?" Raven nearly hid behind the Goblin King, feeling a negative vibe coming from the mysterious woman.

"Penelope, what have I told you about coming to my kingdom?" Jareth grumbled, standing in front of Raven, in an obvious sign of protection.

"You've gotta admit, your library is magical under this sunlight." The woman spoke, her voice slightly deep with a seemingly dangerous power.

"Leave, before I force you."

"Who's the little mewling quim behind you, hm?" The woman, Penelope, turned around grinning like a mad-woman.

"Excu-"

"Hush." Jareth gently silenced Raven, quickly changing his tone when he turned back to the woman, "Never mind who she is, as she is none of your concern."

"Oh, fine. I'll go only so your little pet doesn't become terrified." The woman sighed, disappearing into thin air.

Jareth sighed as his tense form faded, and his mind eased down. The girl came from behind him cautiously.

"Who was that?" Her high voice broke the silence. The Goblin King groaned and pinched the bridge of his nose,

"Someone I didn't want you to meet."