4) The Dwarf

It was nearly daylight when Raven reached a third clearing, seemingly deserted and void of any creatures. She was almost disappointed, as she hadn't seen anything since the fairies at the entrance. It was dark when she and the Goblin King arrived, so the other creatures may have been asleep.

As she made her progress through the maze, she was thankful that the large moon gave off a brilliant light, illuminating almost everything and allowing her to see where she was going.

With her pace swift, Raven made her way to the other side of the clearing and jumped, becoming startled from the short being that turned the corner before her.

"'Ey! Watch where ya goin'!" The dwarf exclaimed, shuffling away from her.

"S-sorry..." Raven muttered, her speed slowing while she walked. She turned her head and kept going, but she heard the dwarf's footsteps behind her; following closely.

"So where ya headin'?" He asked.

"The castle at the center of the Labyrinth, why?"

"Youse ain't gon' make it!" The dwarf laughed. "Nobody ain't made it since Sarah, and that was thirty years ago!"

"Someone's defeated the Goblin King before?" Raven asked, but still keeping her pace fast.

"Jus that one time. I doubts you'll even get close to Jareth's castle!" He laughed, almost mockingly. Then Raven muttered to herself,

"Shit."

---

The Goblin King gazed through the crystal, watching the girl and the dwarf. He felt like he went back in time all those years ago, back to Sarah.

He sighed and looked away, staring off into space before the rooster called and startled him, signaling the break of dawn.

Before he knew it, his Goblin Guard slowly began to file into the throne room, and drunken goblins and other creatures started to wake from their hangovers. Thankfully, the child in the small pit at the center of the room slept peacefully, not bothered by the shuffling around her.

Jareth wanted to nod off himself, as he's been awake for gods know how many days. But he couldn't afford to lose focus. He continued to watch the girl, monitoring her progress while he threw small obstacles her way, trying to sow her down so he could win his prize.