Chapter Thirty Two

Chapter Thirty Two

“Thank you,” I smiled at the shop assistant and took the carrier bag containing Chloe’s birthday present out the shop. My phone started ringing and I checked the caller ID.

“Yes, Dad?” I spoke as I answered the phone.

“How long are you going to be?” he asked.

“Not long. Stop worrying. I’m fine,” I told him and he sighed.

“Okay. I’ll have dinner ready for you when you get back. Be careful,” he replied and I hung up the phone slightly annoyed at his constant calling to check up on me.

“Shit,” someone muttered as they walked into me. I stepped back not expecting the impact and hit my hand on the wall. I shook it as you do when bashing your hand before recomposing myself and looking up at the stranger.

“I’m so sorry, are you okay?” he asked.

“Uh…yeah,” I answered noticing him looking down at my hand. I followed his eyes and saw a nasty scrape on the back of my hand. I hissed as I blew on it attempting to get rid of the bits of grit in the cuts.

“Shit, I’m sorry. Uh…my house is just over the road, I’ll clean it up for you, if you want?” he spoke. I looked into his sincere eyes and shrugged before following him across the road and into a large house. The smell of freshly baked bread filled my senses and I smiled as it made me feel safer in the unfamiliar house.

“The bathroom is this way,” he muttered walking along the hall. I followed him into a small bathroom and sat down on the edge of the bath.

“I’m Danny by the way,” he told me while rooting through a cupboard.

“Lexi,” I replied as he took out some antiseptic wipes.

“Again, I’m really sorry. I wasn’t watching where I was going,” he said as he started cleaning the cuts in my hand. It all seemed a little strange to me how he had allowed me to come to his house and clean my hand.

“It’s fine,” I assured him.

“Things are just difficult at the moment,” he muttered and I raised my eyebrows at how he was opening up to me when he didn’t know me. I had been like that once. No one was there to listen so I just opened up to a stranger. I had never felt so empty.

“How do you mean?” I asked hoping it would reassure him. He sighed.

“It’s my sister. She got some news a few days ago but she won’t tell us what it is. It’s awful seeing her in so much pain. I just don’t know what to say to her,” he told me. I thought for a moment. Maybe she’d open up to me. There was no harm in trying.

“Can I try and talk to her?” I asked and he shrugged as he finished bandaging my hand.

“Her room is up the stairs, first door on the left,” he said and I nodded before exiting the bathroom. I followed his instructions taking me to the bedroom door of his sister’s bedroom. I knocked twice and waited. All I heard was a sob so I opened the door. A girl a little older than me was sat in the corner of her room surrounded by pictures. She looked up at me with her tearstained face and my heart ached for her.

“L-Lexi?” she stuttered. How did she know my name? I walked closer to her and bent down in front of the pictures. I suddenly recognised the faces in the pictures. They were pictures of The Wanted.

“Please tell him to stop? I can’t be without them,” she sobbed referring to my dad. All I could do was watch as she cried.

“You know, sometimes I’m okay about them splitting up but other times I just sit here and cry,” she told me before letting out another pained sob.

“Babe, I’m so sorry,” I almost whispered.

“Please just make it stop?! Make the pain go away. I feel so empty,” she cried and I took her hand in mine.

“Darling, listen to me,” I spoke and she looked up at me, “The Wanted are five incredible guys who have given so much but they want to get on with their lives now, with their families, I mean. They love you so much, I promise you that. It’s hurting my dad too, you know? He hates seeing you lot upset. But they’re still going to be around. They’re not leaving you, Babe. They’re just not working as a unit anymore,” I explained and she nodded before hugging me which took me by surprise.

“Tell him I love him, will you?” she whispered and I nodded.

“Speak of the devil,” I muttered as my phone started ringing. I took it out of my pocket and answered it.

“Yeah, Dad, I’ll be there soon,” I told him.

“No, Lex. Go to Jay’s flat. Jasmine’s here and I don’t want her to touch you. I’ll pick you up later,” he explained, “I love you.” The line went dead and I frowned before putting the phone in my pocket.

“Listen, what’s your name?” I asked the girl.

“Kadee,” she replied.

“Okay, Kadee, tweet me later and I’ll follow you but I have to go now. You stay strong,” I told her and she nodded. I quickly left the house and jogged to Jay’s flat.

I slammed my hand on the buzzer worried about the darkness London was now in.

“Hello?” Jay spoke.

“It’s Lexi. Let me up.”

The door buzzed and I quickly went inside and up the stairs. I practically fell into Jay’s arms when I entered his flat and let the tears come flooding out.

“Hey, hey, hey,” he spoke trying to calm me. I was sat down on the sofa and Jay hugged me.

“Ssh, what’s gone on?” he asked me.

“I met this girl today. She’s a fan of you. She was crying her eyes out and she was asking me to make the pain stop. She told me she felt empty and she was practically begging me to ask you not to split up,” I explained while drying my tears.

“Oh, Alexis, it hurts us too. We’ve watched our fans grow into beautiful and incredible people over the years and that is an experience I’ll never forget. We love all our fans, each and every one of them. They’re perfect to us,” he told me and I nodded.

“Just tell them that. Tell them that you love them every day because they really will appreciate it. They love you too,” I said and he nodded.

“Now dry your eyes and I’ll make you a cup of tea,” he told me and I smiled.