Chapter Twenty Seven

"This is it," my dad said as he pulled up outside the small cottage.

"Is this really where she lives?" I asked.

"That's what your foster parents told me," he replied, "now come on. Let's go."

The two of us got out of the car and headed towards the cottage. I was missing Caiden already and we had only dropped him off five minutes ago.

"It looks too nice to be her cottage," I said.

"Believe it or not, Lexi, your mum is actually a nice person," my dad replied sarcastically. I rolled my eyes as he knocked on the door. We waited a few moments before the door was opened to reveal a familiar looking woman. She looked at us both and her eyes widened.

"N-Nathan," she stuttered, "Alexis, how did you find him?"

"Why don't we come in and we'll explain everything to you," Nathan suggested. Christy nodded and stepped aside. Both of us entered the small, homey cottage and were directed to the sofa.

"How are you?" she asked as she went into the kitchen and flicked the kettle on.

"Good thanks," Nathan answered, "you?"

"Yeah, fine."

"So I'm guessing you'll want an explanation?" my dad asked her.

"Yeah, that would be nice."

"Well, Lexi came to London with her boyfriend a-" he started but Christy interrupted, "boyfriend?" she questioned.

"Yeah, Caiden. I think you've met him," I told her.

"Blonde hair, a few years older than you?" she asked and I nodded, "ah, he's a nice boy."

"Anyway, she came to London with Caiden in search of me. She eventually found me and we've worked things out with her foster parents so she now lives with me in London," my dad explained.

"Well, that's unexpected," she said as she placed a tray of three cups of tea on the coffee table.

“I’m just a rebel,” I replied with a wink.

“Oh yeah, my little rebel,” my dad laughed. “Anyway, we just thought we’d come and see you.”

Christy smiled. “I’m glad you did.”

I stood up and they both looked at me as I walked over to Christy.

“It’s good to see you again…Mum,” I said and hugged her. It obviously came as a surprise to her because she hesitated in hugging me back.

“You too, Baby,” she whispered. I pulled away from her and saw the tears in her eyes. Nathan stood up seeing it too and walked over to her before pulling her into a tight hug. I smiled at my biological parents.

“Group hug!” my dad shouted and pulled me into the hug. “Guys, I really love you,” my dad said.

“We’ll call you on Christmas day,” my dad told my mum.

“I can’t wait,” she said with a smile.

“Bye, Mum,” I spoke and gave her another hug before jogging over to the car to leave my parents alone. I leant on the car door and watched the two of them. I couldn’t hear what they were saying but I guessed it was good because my mum giggled like a school girl and blushed. My dad said goodbye to her and kissed her on the cheek before running over to me.

“What did you say, eh?” I asked and winked at him. He rolled his eyes and laughed at me.

“Come on, Lex. Let’s go home,” he said and unlocked the car. I got into the car and quickly chose the CD. My dad saw me putting his album in and raised his eyebrow.

“It’s a pretty good album, Dad. And if I’m going to be your number one fan then I need to study up,” I told him.

“You do indeed,” he replied and pulled away from the cottage. We Own The Night came on and my dad subtly nodded his head along to the tune. When it reached his part his lips parted slightly and moved along to the words.

“Great work, Dad,” I said while laughing. He raised his eyebrow but kept his eyes on the road.

“I’ll have you know, Alexis Sykes, I am a fantastic dancer when I’m getting my groove on,” he told me.

“Getting your groove on?” I burst out laughing and he pushed the button for my window to wind down letting the rain hit me.

“Dad!” I whined. “Close the window!”

He laughed before pushing the button to let the window wind up.

“You’re not funny,” I said running my hands through my hair.

“I am,” he disagreed as we drove past a McDonalds.

“Dad, we have to go to McDonalds,” I told him.

“No, Lexi. You want to go to McDonalds,” he replied.

“But you want to as well,” I said.

“Maybe.” He pulled into a car park surrounded by shops and restaurants. I spotted McDonalds and jumped out of the car. Dad followed me as I jogged over to the restaurant.

“Happy meal, yeah?” he said as he caught up with me. I playfully elbowed him in the side and he chuckled.

Once we had collected our food we went back to the car and continued on the journey to London. I checked my phone to see two text messages.

From: Caiden

Miss you already. Can’t wait to see you at Christmas. One more week. X

From: Chloe

Just seen Caiden. Damn, that boys got the blues or something. Xxx

I smiled and text them both back.

To: Chloe

Bless him. Obviously missing me ;) xxx

To: Caiden

I’m counting down the days! X