Chapter Twenty Nine

The day of my dad’s last gig of 2013 had arrived. Caiden had gone back to Gloucester this morning and I was meant to be staying at Jay and Anna’s for the night.

“Really? Kelsey, Nina and Nareesha are busy,” I heard my dad say.

“No. I’m not leaving her on her own for that long.”

“Okay, fine. I hope she feels better soon.”

“Lexi!” my dad called. I went into my dad’s bedroom to see him messing with his hair.

“You’re coming with me tonight,” he told me.

“To your concert? Awesome!” I cheered and he laughed.

“Hurry up and get ready. We’re leaving in fifteen minutes.” I ran out of Dad’s room and into my own. I threw the doors of my wardrobe open and started searching through my clothes. I selected a pair of denim shorts and a white crop top. My phone buzzed as I was getting changed and I read the text from Caiden.

What are you doing tonight? My mum says she will drive me to London.

I can’t tonight, babe. My dad is taking me to his gig.

I slipped my converse on and put my phone in my pocket before grabbing my jacket.

“Dad! I’m ready!” I called as I jogged down the stairs.

“Great,” he said and opened the front door. He was wearing black jeans and a red polo shirt. The two of us left the house to find a silver van with tinted windows. The door opened as my dad locked the door and Jay waved to me. Dad and I got into the van and we set off to the venue which I had learnt was the O2.

“So when we get there go with Lia to the front of the stage,” my dad told me and I nodded while smiling at Lia.

“Nath, the paps are going to be mad tonight,” Tom said.

“Why?” I interjected. Tom glanced at me before looking back at my dad.

“Jasmine has told the press about the split,” he spoke before grabbing a newspaper from behind the seat he was sat in. My dad took the paper from it and read the article in silence.

“She took her time,” he finally said before chucking the paper back to Tom.

“She’s not a very convincing liar either,” Jay added.

“But she’s really got a nerve saying things like that about Lexi,” my dad muttered. I chose to ignore him as the van stopped outside the arena. Girls screamed and banged on the windows of the van as the gates opened. I moved away from the window worried they could see me. My dad, Tom, Jay, Siva and Max just smiled to themselves. The van pulled up next to a door and the car door was pulled open.

“Go!” Tom said and pushed me out of the van. My dad grabbed my hand and pulled me inside the arena. He stopped when we were safely inside and hugged me.

“Are you okay?” he asked worriedly. Well, it didn’t surprise me that he was worried after what happened outside the restaurant a few weeks ago. I nodded and we went into what I assumed was the dressing room. Once everyone was inside my dad turned to me.

“This,” he pointed towards the doorway where a woman was stood, “is Kate. She will take you and Lia to the front of the stage.” I nodded and smiled at Kate. She wore a black t-shirt and black skinny jeans. Around her neck was a lanyard with a card that read ‘VIP’. She handed one to me and Lia and gestured for her to follow us. When she turned around I saw that her t-shirt has the word ‘crew’ printed on it. Lia and I followed her down a corridor then some steps to a door. She turned to us and smiled.

“Okay, I’ll take you to the VIP area then I need to go. If there’s anything you need just tell one of the security members by the stage. They’ll know who you are because of the colour of your lanyards. Lia, you know the drill. And it’s nice to meet you Alexis,” she explained. I liked Kate. She was nice.

She opened the door and I looked around the large and almost full arena. A few girls waved at Lia and she smiled at them. Kate let us into the VIP area before waving and going backstage. There were a few other people in the VIP area that grinned at Lia and asked for photos. Lia took photos with each of them then they looked at me.

“Are you Lia’s friend?” one of them asked.

“I guess you could say that,” I replied with a smile.

“Guys, don’t you recognise her from the magazines and twitter?” Lia said to them.

“Oh my god,” one of them screeched.

“Alexis Sykes?!” another questioned and I nodded. “Please can we have a photo?”

“Sure,” I smiled and took photos with a few of them.

“So,” one of them spoke, “what’s it like having Nathan as a dad?”

“Uh, okay, I guess,” I laughed. The crowd screamed and the girls turned to the stage. Lia smiled at me and I looked over at the stage as The Wanted came on singing All Time Low. Once they had finished the song Jay said hello into his microphone making the audience scream louder.

“How’s everyone doing tonight?!” Tom shouted earning another scream from the thousands of fans. “There’s someone in the audience tonight who Nathan’s very excited about being here.”

I looked at Lia wide-eyed and she winked at me.

“Yeah, her name’s Lexi,” Nathan continued taking his in ear out, “and she’s my little girl.”

“I am not little!” I shouted and he winked at me.

“Anyway, this next song is very special. It’s the first time I’ve ever played it and we’re going to release it as our next single. I wrote this song for Lexi so I hope you like it,” he said and nodded to someone backstage. My heart was racing as I watched my dad close his eyes when the music started.

Dry your eyes little princess. You’re the next big thing. But you’ll always be mine.

Tears were streaming down my face as the song finished and my dad looked down at me. His expression changed from happy to pained.

“Don’t cry. Lia give her hug,” he said into his microphone. Lia pulled me into her as I sobbed. But I wasn’t crying because I was sad. I was crying because I had just heard something incredibly beautiful.

“That song is called Mine,” Nathan told everyone and continued into the next song, Chasing The Sun.