Chapter Six

Chapter Six

“Are you ready, Lexi?” Caiden asked.

“Yeah,” I replied as I picked up my bag. I went into the living room and smiled at Jay.

“Thank you for letting us stay with you. You’ve helped us so much,” I told him.

“Anytime, Alexis. I’m just surprised that Nathan’s your dad.”

“I don’t think anyone is as surprised as him,” I said and he chuckled.

“Well, good luck. Hopefully I’ll see you soon.” I hugged him then Caiden took my hand.

“Goodbye, Jay.” Caiden led me out of the flat and down the stairs. The two of us left the building and found Nathan stood by his car. I smiled as we approached him.

“Hi,” I said.

“Hi, Alexis,” he replied and smiled at me.

“Caiden, this is my dad,” I introduced. Nathan held out his hand and Caiden warily shook it.

“Come on then. Let’s get you two home,” he said as he opened the car door. Caiden and I got into the car and put our seatbelts on. Nathan got into the driver’s seat and started the car.

“Any music preferences?” he asked.

“I don’t suppose you have any of Daughter’s music?”

“No, sorry. Have you got an iPod? I can plug it in.” I took my iPod out of my bag and handed it to him. He plugged it in and put it on shuffle. The first song to come on was Call Me Maybe by Carly Rae Jepsen.

“Caiden!” I whined. He laughed and I poked him in the side.

“Nath, I mean, Dad, please could you switch this song?”

Nathan skipped the song and I relaxed into the leather seat as The Woods by Daughter came on. Caiden laced our fingers together and I closed my eyes.

“Lexi, we’re here,” Caiden spoke. I opened my eyes to see that we were parked outside my house. I rubbed my eyes and yawned before getting out of the car.

“Caiden, you go home. I’ll ring you later,” I told him. He nodded then started walking down the street. Nathan smiled at me and I started walking up the driveway with him following. I could feel myself shaking. I was so nervous.

I took a deep breath then pushed down on the door handle. Nathan followed me inside the house and I sighed.

“Mum?” I shouted. I heard footsteps then my mum emerged from the kitchen.

“Oh, hello, Honey. You’re home early,” she said.

“Yeah, I need to talk to you about something.” She looked at Nathan then back at me.

“Okay. Just come into the kitchen. I’m making lunch. Does your friend want some?” she asked. Friend seemed an odd word considering Nathan was twenty nine.

“Uh…I don’t know.”

“Well, I’ll make extra anyway,” she said as she walked into the kitchen with Nathan and I following. I sat down at the table and Nathan did the same. My mum was stood at the counter.

“Mum, I know that dad is the only one who knows about my biological father,” I started and she immediately turned around.

“Why are you bringing this up?”

“Just listen,” I said. “I didn’t go on a camping trip, Mum. I went to London with Caiden.”

“What?”

“I found my dad.” She glanced at Nathan then back at me.

“This is him,” I said gesturing towards Nathan. Her eyes filled with fear as she looked at him.

“N-no, you get away from her,” she stuttered as she grabbed my arm and pulled me up from my chair.

“You can’t just come into her life now that you feel like it.”

“Mum, that’s not what this is.”

“Alexis, go to your room.”

“No! Listen to me. He didn’t know I even existed until yesterday,” I told her. She looked at me then at Nathan.

“Please don’t take her away from me,” she begged as a tear rolled down her cheek. Nathan stood up and walked over to us. He took my hand in his and looked at my mum.

“I don’t want to take her away from you. I just want my daughter to be a part of my life. If I knew that Christy was pregnant I would never have left.”

“Dad, I’ll ring you tonight. I just need to talk to my mum,” I said to Nathan. He nodded and pulled me into a hug before leaving.

“I want to see him as often as I can, Mum.” She nodded and sat down at the table. I sat across from her and smiled weakly.

“I know that you won’t want this to happen but I’m going to move to London with him eventually,” I told her. She nodded and held my hand over the table.

“I understand, Alexis. But know that this house will always be a home to you.”

“I know. It’ll be a while before I move in with him because I want to get to know him first. He’s married. She’s called Jasmine and she’s a dance teacher.”

“That’s nice. I’m sure she’ll make you feel welcome.” I knew that this was hard for her. But I wanted Nathan to be a part of my life now.