Chapter Seventeen

Chapter Seventeen

My eyes fluttered open as daylight streamed through the curtains. Caiden stirred next to me but didn’t wake up. I smiled before slipping out of bed and going downstairs. I went into the kitchen to find my dad sat at the island. He was frowning at something on his phone.

“Morning,” I greeted. He looked up at me and nodded.

“Dad, I’m sorry,” I said and he sighed.

“It’s not your fault, Lexi. Listen, I’ll make you and Caiden some breakfast. Jay’s coming round at ten and Caiden’s mum will be here at half nine,” he explained.

“Caiden’s mum?” I questioned.

“Yeah, she’s coming to pick him up.”

“Wouldn’t it make more sense for him to just go home with us tonight?”

“No because you’re not going back to Gloucester tonight. You’re not going back until tomorrow,” he told me and I frowned.

“I have school,” I pointed out.

“I know. It’s all sorted, don’t worry. We’re going to see the head teacher at your new school tomorrow.”

“But I want to go home.”

“This is your home, Alexis, and I’d like you to start calling it that as you know you’ll be moving in very soon.” Why was he being so harsh?

“You know, my foster dad isn’t this mean to me,” I said and Nathan frowned.

“Your foster dad isn’t your real dad. I am. So you will do as I say, Alexis, whether you like it or not. Speaking of which, I want your bedroom tidy by the time Jay arrives so you’d best get to work. I’ll shout you when breakfast is ready,” he told me and I sighed before walking out of the kitchen. I guess he was just being like this because of Jasmine. I knew he wasn’t usually like this so everything would be back to normal soon.

*

“Alexis, is your bedroom tidy?!” my dad shouted.

“Yes!” I replied as I left my room and jogged down the stairs. Caiden dropped his bag by the front door and turned to look at me.

“My mum’s waiting outside,” he said as my dad came into the room.

“Okay. I’ll see you soon then.”

“Yeah, you will.” I smiled and he pulled me into a hug.

“I love you,” he whispered.

“I love you too,” I replied as I pulled away. He kissed me lightly before picking up his bag and opening the front door.

“Goodbye, green eyes,” he said and left the house. I sighed as the door shut and turned to look at my dad.

“It’s just me and you now,” he pointed out and I rolled my eyes.

“What?” he questioned.

“Why are you being like this?”

“Like what?”

“You’re going out of your way to make things difficult for me.”

“No I’m not, Lexi. And you know it.”

“Dad, I want some freedom. You’re being really controlling.” He sighed and ran a hand through his hair.

“Lexi, I’m sorry. I’m just stressed,” he said and I let a few tears fall down my cheeks. He stepped closer and wrapped his arms around me. He stroked my hair soothingly as I cried.

“Ssh, it’s okay. Daddy’s here, Angel,” he cooed.

“I-I just want everything to be okay. I’m s-so sorry. I shouldn’t h-have come to find you,” I cried.

“Hey, don’t say that, Lexi,” my dad said as he let go of me. “You’re the best thing that’s ever happened to me. I love you.”

“I l-love you t-too, Dad,” I replied and he kissed my forehead.

“Now, dry your eyes, Princess. Jay will be here soon,” my dad told me. I nodded and went off to the bathroom.

When I returned from the bathroom, my dad was just opening the front door.

“Alright,” my dad greeted as Jay stepped into the house.

“Hello,” Jay replied as he looked around the room and saw me. He smiled and I rushed over to him. He pulled me into a hug and spun me round.

“It’s so good to see you,” he said and I smiled as he put me down.

“It’s good to see you too,” I replied.

“Right, I’ll put the kettle on and you two go and sit down,” my dad told us. Jay and I went into the living room and sat down on the sofa.

“So how’s Caiden?” Jay asked.

“Yeah, he’s good. It’s going to be hard leaving him when I move here,” I answered.

“I guess he could visit. When are you moving here?”

“Uh…I don’t know,” I replied as my dad came into the room with three cups of tea. He put the three mugs down before sitting on the other sofa.

“Next weekend, if you like,” my dad said and I nodded.

“Yeah, that sounds good.”

“So it’s your last week of school when you get back to Gloucester then. Pack the last of your stuff and we’ll bring it over here,” he explained and I nodded.

“Sounds awesome. Maybe Caiden could help out that weekend,” Jay suggested and my dad glared at him.

“He’ll probably have work to do,” my dad said.

“No, he won’t. He works really hard at school so he has time to see me,” I replied. Jay smiled.

“That’s really sweet,” he commented.

“He is. He’s the kindest and most caring guy I know. He always goes out of his way to make me smile and I love that. I love him,” I explained with a smile on my face. Jay was smiling too but my dad was frowning. What was his problem?