Chapter Thirty

@LexiSykes @NathanTheWanted Mine is so beautiful. I cried a river last night!

I smiled before retweeting the tweet. I had replayed the song over and over in my head. It was beautiful and my dad had written it for me.

“Princess?” my dad questioned as he opened my bedroom door. I smiled and he came into my room and sat on the end of my bed.

“I want you to do something for me,” he started and I nodded for him to go on. “Don’t listen to anything anyone says about Jasmine. She’s said some very nasty things to the press. I’m going to fix this because you’re none of the things she has called you. I’m going to show the world what an incredible little girl you are,” he explained and I smiled.

“Can I see what she’s said?” I asked and my dad sighed before taking my iPad and bringing up an article. He handed it to me and I started to read it.

Alexis Sykes, Nathan Sykes’ daughter appeared on her father’s doorstep just a few months ago. It was a shock to many when it was revealed that he had a thirteen year old daughter but the most affected by it is Jasmine Sykes, Nathan’s wife. The question Jasmine asks is, why come into her father’s life now? After thirteen years? Money. Ever since Alexis moved into her father’s house she has been selfish, cruel and spiteful. Jasmine tells us, “she told she’d take all his money. Then she’d leave and never contact him again. I bet she’s not even his daughter! That wouldn’t surprise me.” Well, is Alexis Sykes actually a Sykes?

I was frowning at the article by the time I had finished. What the hell?!

“How are you going to stop this, Dad? Everyone is going to hate me,” I said worriedly.

“Don’t you worry, sweetheart. I will set the record straight. I’ll tell the media about my divorce which will be sorted sometime soon. I’ll tell them that I didn’t know I had a beautiful little girl. I tell them all about how much I love you and how incredible you are. No one is going to hate you. Who could be that crazy? You’re my little angel,” he told me and I smiled and hugged him.

“I love you, Dad,” I whispered and he kissed my forehead. “I love you too.”

“Now, let’s go and show that voice of yours to the world!” he shouted as he ran out of my bedroom and down the stairs. I laughed and followed after him.

“What exactly are you planning to do?” I asked as I entered the music room. I sat down beside him on the piano stool and he grinned.

“We’re going to sing a cover and put it on YouTube,” he told me, “so pick a song.”

I thought for a moment before selecting the perfect song. “Losing Sleep by John Newman.”

“Yes!” he agreed before looking up the sheet music on his iPad. He fiddled with a few things on the equipment in front of us and the microphone and camera turned on. My dad nodded and began playing the piano.

“It’s 3am, I’m calling in to tell you that without you here, I’m losing sleep, I’m losing sleep,” I sung.

“Nervous, I’m around these lonely eyes that’s leaving me filled with fear, I’m losing sleep, I’m losing sleep. And I know what it's like to be a child scared of the night,” he continued.

“Please don’t stop loving me, loving me,” I went into the chorus.

“Oh ooh ooh ooh ooh ooh ooh ooh,” my dad sung.

“Wanting me, wanting me like you do. Please don’t stop caring now, caring now.”

“Ooh ooh ooh ooh ooh ooh ooh ooh.”

“Caring now, caring now like you do.”

We finished the song together. “It’s 3am, I’m calling in to tell you that without you here, I’m losing sleep, I’m losing sleep.” My dad turned off the microphone and camera and smiled at me.

“That was brilliant,” he told me and hugged me.

“Really?” I asked and he nodded.

“I’ll edit that then put it on YouTube,” he said and grinned.

The two of us spent the rest of the day watching television while Dad edited the video. He finally got it up on YouTube and told me to check my twitter.

@NathanTheWanted: Losing Sleep (cover) by me and @LexiSykes! (link)

My face lit up at the positive feedback.

“They love it!” I shouted.

“I know! I’m reading the tweets!” he called back from the kitchen.

“Dad, I love you!” I squealed just as my phone started to ring. I checked the caller ID and smiled.

“Hey, green eyes,” Caiden said as I answered the phone.

“Hello!” I sang.

“I saw your video. You sound incredible.”

“Thank you, Baby.”

“God, I miss you,” he said after a short pause.

“I miss you too. When can we see each other again?” I asked.

“Soon, I promise. I can’t wait to kiss you.” I blushed.

“Lexi!” my dad shouted from the kitchen.

“Caiden, I’m gonna have to go. I’m so sorry. I’ll Skype you later,” I told him.

“Okay. I love you, green eyes.”

“I love you too,” I replied and hung up before jogging into the kitchen. My dad was sat at the breakfast bar grinning at me.

“Guess what?” he said and I shrugged.

“The Wanted are making the video for Mine tomorrow. And you are coming with me,” he told me.

“I have school though,” I pointed out.

“Don’t worry. I spoke to Sylvia and all is good,” he replied. To say I was excited would be an understatement.