Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

It was a Sunday and I was laid on my bed with my head on Caiden’s lap. He was fiddling with my hair and I was thinking about Nathan.

“I’m going to live with him in London,” I said. Caiden stopped what he was doing and I looked up at him.

“Why? Aren’t you happy here?”

“Yes. Of course I am. I just want to live with my dad. And he wants me to live with him.”

“But you can’t leave Gloucester.”

“I can, Caiden. And I’m going to.” I sat up and he got off my bed. He sighed and rested his head against the wall.

“I don’t want you to go,” he said.

“I’m sorry.”

“Why can’t you stay here? You’ve got the perfect family and everything.”

“Because I need to be with my dad. I’ve spent most of my life wondering who he is. I thought that he was a let-down but it turns out that he didn’t even know I existed.”

“What about me?” he almost whispered. He walked over to me and took my hand in his.

“I don’t want you to go,” he said.

“You’ve got other friends.”

“It’s not the same. You’re my best friend.”

“Caiden, this is my dad we’re talking about. Do you know what it’s like living your whole life with parents that aren’t actually yours?”

“It’s not about your dad, Alexis. It’s about you moving two hours away,” he replied and let go of my hand.

“You have other friends.”

“That’s just it though, isn’t it? You’re willing to just let our friendship go. If I’m not as important to you as you are to me then there’s no point in me sticking around,” he said and pulled my bedroom door open.

“Caiden.” He walked out of my bedroom and across the landing. I stood by the door and watched him.

“I guess I’m just a stupid girl to you then! But whatever, Caiden! I’ve got my dad. So just go!” I shouted. He looked up at me and shook his head. Then without another word, he left.

I marched back into my bedroom and slammed the door before running over to the window and watching Caiden walk down the driveway. He didn’t look back. He just kept on walking. I felt my eyes fill with tears. How could he be so inconsiderate? He had other friends.

*

From: Dad

Hi, Alexis. I’m on my way to pick you up now. We’re going to a theme park. I hope that’s okay x

I smiled at the text before shoving my phone into my pocket. This was the first time I was seeing Nathan since my mum found out about him. She didn’t want me to move out but she really had no choice. Nathan was my dad and he had rights. It’s not like Nathan was forcing me to move to London. I wanted to. The date was set. The twelfth of December. That was a month from now. Nathan wanted me to move in before Christmas. I wanted to spend Christmas with him but I was used to spending the morning with my foster parents then the afternoon with Caiden. Caiden hadn’t spoken to me since last Sunday. It was Saturday now. I sighed and pushed the thought of him out of my head.

“Alexis! Your dad is here,” my mum shouted up the stairs. I smiled, pulled my jacket on and grabbed my bag before leaving my bedroom. I went down the stairs and found Nathan stood by the door.