Chapter One

Chapter One

From: Caiden

Look out your window, green eyes.

I put my phone down on my bed and looked out of the window to see Caiden stood on the lawn. He was holding Hot Fuzz in one hand and a bag of popcorn in the other. I pushed the window open and threw the key down to him. He disappeared out of my view and I shut the window. I heard the door open downstairs then footsteps. My bedroom creaked as Caiden pushed it open and grinned at me. He threw the DVD and the popcorn on my bed then sat beside me.

“So,” he started. “How are things at school?”

Unfortunately, Caiden and I went to different schools and he was two years older than me. He went to the local all-boys school while I went to a private all-girls school as my mum and dad were quite well off. They were lovely to me and I couldn’t ask for better foster parents but it was hard not knowing who my biological father was. My biological mother occasionally visited me but I didn’t really like her. I wasn’t really close to my foster parents. I mean, we talked and everything but they were often working so I was just left with my best friend, Caiden.

I was always kept in the dark about my biological father because apparently I was better off not knowing anything about him. But last year, my foster dad let it slip that my real father lived in London.

“Things are good,” I replied to Caiden. He took my hand in his and fiddled with my fingers.

“Caiden?”

“Mmm.”

“I was thinking,” I started. “I want to find my dad.”

He stopped playing with my fingers and looked up at me.

“Are you sure?”

“Yeah, I know that he lives in London and his last name is Sykes.”

“How do you know his last name?”

“I found my birth certificate. It says Alexis Sykes but it only has my mum’s name on it.”

“Okay. So how do you plan on finding him?”

“I’ll find every Mr Sykes who lives in London then I’ll ask them if they knew my mum.”

“So you’re going to London on your own?”

I nodded in reply.

“I’m going with you,” he said. I blinked a few times before realising he was serious.

“Really?”

“Yes. I’m not letting you go on your own,” he replied. I smiled and hugged him.

“Thanks, Caiden.”

“No problem. Will your parents let you go?” he asked. I frowned as I thought about it.

“They won’t let me go. So you should tell them that we’re going on a camping trip with your uncle or something.”

“Are you mad?”

“Please, Caiden,” I whined and he chuckled.

“Okay, but if we get caught then you’re taking all the blame,” he said with a wink and I elbowed him in the ribs. He looked at me in mock shock before punching me lightly on the arm. I giggled and pushed him slightly. He raised his eyebrow then pushed me off the bed. I pulled the duvet down with me which meant he ended up on the floor too. Caiden flashed me a look of mock hurt and I stuck my tongue out at him. I pulled the duvet over me as a shield but it didn’t stop him tickling me. I screamed and giggled as I wriggled around in his grip.

“Caiden, stop it!”

Eventually, he stopped tickling me and pulled me up from the floor.

“We’ll go first thing tomorrow morning. Find every Mr Sykes in London and I’ll book the train tickets tonight,” he said in a serious tone. I nodded in reply.

“I’ll see you tomorrow,” he told me then kissed me on the forehead. He exited my bedroom and I was left alone wondering why his mood had changed so quickly.

*

“Have fun, Alexis,” my mum said as I got into the taxi with Caiden.

“I will, thanks, mum.”

“Be careful, Honey.”

“Don’t worry,” I replied as the taxi began to roll away from her. I waved out of the window then wound it up. Caiden smiled at me and I bit my lip.

“The train gets to London at eleven so we can start straight away,” he told me and I nodded.

It was a short journey to Gloucester train station and to my surprise the train was actually there when we arrived. We quickly found our seats and got comfortable for the two hour journey. I put my earphones in and closed my eyes. Soon I would be searching for my dad. I didn’t feel guilty about lying to my parents because I felt like this was the right thing to do. I needed to do this for myself. Landfill by Daughter started playing in my ears and I smiled at the familiar sound of my favourite song.

“Alexis, wake up,” Caiden’s voice rang in my ears. I opened my eyes to see the train slowing down. My earphones were resting in my lap. I shoved my iPod into my pocket and stood up before following Caiden along the aisle. We picked up our small bags then got off the train.

I was almost knocked off my feet as a woman barged past me. Caiden grabbed my hand and pulled me through the heaving crowds. I didn’t stop moving until we were outside the building and I let out a sigh of relief. Caiden didn’t let go of my hand as I took a piece of paper out of my pocket and unfolded it. First address. Troy Sykes. Caiden looked at the address then led me down a few streets. He came to a stop outside a door then nodded at me.

“This is it,” he said.

“I guess it is,” I replied and took a deep breath. I let go of Caiden’s hand and knocked on the door. I waited a minute then heard the door unlock and open. A tall man with grey hair and sharp eyes looked down at me.

“H-hi, my name is Alexis and I was just wondering if you once knew a woman called Christy White?”

He frowned at me and shook his head.

“No, I did not.” His words were quick and harsh and I stepped away from the door.

 “Okay, thank you,” I said then turned away. I pulled Caiden away from the man and down the road. One down, sixty-two to go.